Chapter Thirty-Seven | Second World

[ 37 | Second World ]

As Fahren had lived as someone else for such a long time, he struggled to disassociate himself from the character of Shu Ning. When he rejoined System, back in that white room where it all began, he went quiet. His chest ached, and for a long time, all he wanted to do was cry.

Though he knew he has passed peacefully, just as Zhang Feng had by his side, he still mourned. And whilst he did so, System was evaluating him. System had been through this process for centuries, and had seen first-hand the psychological-toll it took on the human taking part.

So System knew that Fahren would recover with time. But the being in white was unusually impatient, and wanted to see this strange little monkey tackle the next world. Although Fahren was just your typical human, to System, the boy held qualities that made System eager to see his next moves.

That was a challenging first world, plucking him right out of his comfort zone. And not that System would say anything, but, Fahren had done magnificently.

Doing something they have never done before, System crossed the room and crouched down in front of the suffering boy. Fahren had been suppressing his cries, and just like when you thought you were ok, until your mum asks you, more tears streamed down his face.

Fahren didn't expect much, most definitely not a pair of cool hands cupping his cheeks. He looked up, meeting those white eyes, which reminded him so much of Old Tengfei's. The more he thought of that world, and how he would never return, he could practically feel himself crumbling inside.

No human was strong enough to take on the test without first loosing themselves completely. But that's not what System wanted.

"Calm yourself," System's voice was soothing, and as soon as Fahren heard them his vision went blurry and he slumped forward. But the lithe frame of System caught him, with slight struggle, so they allowed their form to alter slightly. More muscle formed, and then, they were able to lift the old twenty-three year old.

Lying the human down, System ghosted their fingertips over the young man's forehead. It wouldn't take much effort at all to break his fragile mind, but that's not what System wanted. Instead, the being strengthened what had begun to break, placing the memories of the first world in a glass box, so it could be seen, but not touched. Fahren would remember it all, but it would not effect him as emotionally as any other dream would.

Without waking Fahren up, System let him sleep for a long time. And when they believed it was the right time, with a snap of their fingers, Fahren had been sent to the next world.

And to say he was groggy when he woke up, was a major understatement. Fahren wondered if System had danced on his head whilst he slept, because as soon as he opened his eyes, sparks of pain shot repeatedly to his temples.

It never occurred to him, that the thumping pain he was currently feeling, could have been one belonging to the body he was currently inhabiting. But after constantly rubbing his head, he peeked up and around his surroundings. For a split second, he thought he was still in that white box with System, but no.

He was, in fact, in a hospital. Though not a standard one, as the decor was quite lavish. Light streamed in through the windows that engulfed the entire size of the walls. From where he was sat, on a mattress with blankets and pillows, he could see the tips of aerials that were just ever so slightly poking into view.

He had already deduced that he was in this next world, but he was equally as excited to see that it was potentially modern-day. The equipment that was either side of him, such as the ECG monitor, was beeping away with a little more vigour as he was able to take in his surroundings.