Chapter Forty-Seven | Second World

[ 47 ]

There were a few others outside. But due to the lack of light, it was difficult to discern what they were up to in the shadows. Hisaya paid them no attention as he stepped up to the railing so he could get the best view of the surrounding city.

It would take him some time to process everything that had been said during the event. It had turned out better than he would have imagined. He was coming away with even stronger allies. And it filled him with the same feeling that he once had in the previous world, when he was almost certain he was going to succeed with his plan.

He didn't know if it was down to relief, or the alcohol that he'd been drinking, but his head felt light. Closing his eyes, he tilted it back and tried to let the cool breeze do the hard-work of clearing his thoughts.

"You should watch out for the champagne, it's lethal."

The particularly deep voice made Hisaya jump. Especially since it was so close. He turned around to see a man actually standing not too far away, also looking out over the balcony. And even though he was in semi-close proximity, Hisaya couldn't clearly make out the mans features. But judging from afar, he liked what he could vaguely see.

The stranger had a straight back, and the undoubtedly tailor-made suit shaped his contours perfectly. He was also much taller than Hisaya was. Which wasn't a difficult accomplishment, because his build was another begrudging aspect of being an Omega. Who even came up with the original spec?

As the man didn't look at him, he could see his side-profile. A strong jawline and straight nose. Above that, the man had a pair of thick, dark eyebrows which were naturally slanted, which probably made him look more angry and intimidating than he actually was.

Feeling the stare, the man turned his head to look at Hisaya. The dimly-lit lanterns did their job, and a pair of strikingly silver eyes came into view. Though there was no sudden wave of memories, as Hisaya would have expected, there was definitely a niggling sensation in the back of his mind.

As if telling him, you know him!

It was so prominent that his temples started to thump painfully. And he must have visibly winced, because the silver-eyed man clocked onto it immediately. He reached out, grasping steadily just under Hisaya's shoulder. Obviously thinking he was going to topple over.

"I'm fine," Hisaya tried to convince the man. Whatever it was that was wrong with him, he wanted to deal with it himself. Especially given their surroundings, he didn't want to be seen as needing an alpha to come to his rescue.

"Hisaya," the man called quietly, his voice tight. "Look at me."

And he did. And since the man had gotten closer, Hisaya was able to see the features that knitted together the rest of his handsome face. He was very handsome, especially in his dark blue suit.

Though the mans choice of words could have come across as commanding, Hisaya was surprised to see the vulnerability in the eyes looking right at him. But the more Hisaya looked, the more the pain racked his head.

"You- you really don't recognise me?" The man swallowed his words in the beginning, and the rest of the sentence sounded strained.

"Sorry, it's as you said about the champagne, I've had one too many." Hisaya tried to pass it off, laughing awkwardly, only hoping now that he could escape and try to find some clarity on the mans identity.

"I'm Ryōichi Kazue" he suddenly said, and again the strange sense of familiarity flooded Hisaya. But his headache took centre-stage. And the man, Ryōichi, seemed to get over his initial shock of not being recognised to spot the pain Hisaya was in.