Chapter Sixty-Four | Third World

[ 64 | Third World ]

[ A/N: I've had you remember Chinese names, Japanese names and now.. Scandinavian names! ]

[ A/N 2: I'll also add a disclaimer: there will be a guaranteed use of profanities and most likely offensive opinions by characters. These do not reflect my own views- so on and so forth. ]

There was no doubting that the sheer enormity of what transpired in the second world would erode Fahren's mind, if it was left as it was- largely due to the knowledge that it was impossible for him to go back.

From the moment he closed his eyes for the final time in the previous world, and re-opened them to find himself in the white space, he didn't move an inch. After a while, he tucked his knees up to his chest, hiding his face as the tears leaked from his eyes. He tried, with every fibre of his being, to imagine he was amongst his beloved family once again. Willing to feel the realism of the love they shared, and not having to be reminded that it was all a 'test'.

In his old world, for one reason or another, Fahren spent most of his time being negative. But that was the reality of being a human being, it was almost impossible to be optimistic and chipper for every part of the day. But around Ryōichi, and the family they created together- he spent every day with a smile on his face.

And now he felt unbearably lonely. One of his hands drifted to his waist, where he clutched at the fabric over it. He grit his teeth as the sobs became heavier. He always seemed to forget that it was, in the grand scheme of things, a test. He always forgot about the eyes watching him as he lived the new life that was handed to him. And in both circumstances, he'd experienced the happiest times of his being. He felt ultimately fulfilled and wouldn't trade any of it. But when he's plucked away, there was no worser punishment.

"Why?" Fahren whispered, momentarily surprised to hear his original voice, albeit sounding a bit hoarse. He tilted his head to the side, to see System watching him through pale eyes. "I wasn't the greatest back then, but I never did anything illegal- I never killed anyone! So why do I have to go through this hell?" He shouted, and although the white room wasn't grand, his voice echoed.

The only gratification he got from System, was the fact that they weren't grinning. In the beginning, they seemed to get pleasure out of seeing Fahren suffering, but now System sat unmoving, completely silent as they took in Fahren's whimpers.

Quickly becoming annoyed by the emotionless gaze he got in return, Fahren whipped his gaze away and closed his eyes, tucking his face out of sight. He bit his lip roughly as he tried to suppress the painful crying. But his body shuddered every time, wracking him with despair.

"You're almost done." System eventually stated, but Fahren didn't budge. Questions whirled in his mind, most of them different variants of - what is the meaning of all this? But he didn't say a word. No matter what happened, he still wouldn't see his husband and children from that world again. And that ripped him up inside.

"Fahren," System's voice was closer, and hearing his name, which he hadn't been called for so many years, it captured his attention and he lifted his head. Whatever creation they were, System was abnormal and that was clear to see. They were pure white, and could fool anyone into thinking they were tender. And it annoyed Fahren, because he'd rather System be sprouting horns- that would make the whole situation more understandable.

But no, System was on their knees beside him, and the soft voice almost cradled him as he was so vulnerable. "You must continue in order to finish." Pale digits caressed his cheek, wiping away the stray tears that continued to fall.