Chapter Seventy-Two | Third World

[ 72 ]

Unlike the typical Rotter, who relied primarily on sound and smell, there was a worrying clarity within the advanced Rotter's eyes. They looked just as horrific— if not worse as they had been knowingly feasting on the decomposing bodies of the surrounding dead.

There was no humanity left in such creatures, but whatever or however it was possible that they had come to be wiser than average, their faces twisted in an oddly gleefully manner. As if sinisterly praising themselves for setting a trap that the humans had jumped right into.

This was the first time that Hansel got to see these further-mutated beings, and his initial anxiety about zombies got a whole-lot-worse. They seemed to have physically mutated as well. They had grown in height, limbs looking out of proportion with thick veins protruding from their skin. Their movements were harsh, snappy and the sound of clicking could be heard whenever they did.

If they weren't already creepy enough; they then started to scream. It was a hoarse, animalistic cry that chilled Hansel to the bone. To make matters worse, everyone who was moving the cars had left their weapons in the vans; believing they would be popping out for a mere matter of minutes.

Only one other soldier had stayed behind with the vans, just in case, in order to protect the injured man inside. But they happened to be the only ones with weapons, which is why when the mutated Rotters looked from them, and then to the rest of the team, they snapped into action— lurching in the direction of everyone who was quick to move away.

Never had such a small distance felt so large. Hansel had nearly fallen over his own feet by how quickly he sprang into action. Fortunately he wasn't the closest to them, but he was certainly still within range. And it didn't help when one of the creatures jumped onto one of the roofs, becoming increasingly more animated.

When one of the twisted creatures got closer to Roscoe, the man produced a pistol and shot right at the creature. Although it hit, right in between its eyes, the abhorrent thing didn't go down. It reeled back, twitching for a moment, before continuing to get closer. A barrage of bullets came from behind, from the soldier who was then joined by the Commander. His expression was steely. Not afraid of the creatures in the slightest.

The bullets came at such a speed, and force, that it knocked the first one off his already-unstable legs. But it was enough of a reaction for Roscoe, and those closest to him, to dash around and make a beeline for the vans.

Their plan was brought to a grinding halt when the second one, which had been watching through red-stained eyes, pounced. Landing on a rooftop of a car and plucking one of the soldiers up off the ground. "No!" Came the protests from the surrounding soldiers, and Hansel forgot to breathe as the soldier flailed— trying to throw the grasp off but was soon treated like a rag-doll.

There was a distinct, and loud crack, and the man's body went limp. Instead of chomping on him, as they had expected the mutant to do, he threw the body away like it meant nothing and lowered itself into a predator-like position. Close by, the other one who had been knocked down, stood back up with some effort. The cracking sounds were louder as it slammed its hand onto a nearby car, sending the tail end shooting into the air. The evident strength was horrifying.

Hansel had kept on moving throughout this scene, inadvertently getting closer to other team members, which meant that as a small group they suddenly became eye-catching. Watching one of the creature's heads slowly, creaking as it did, turn to look at them was a sight Hansel would surely never forget. The one who was perched on the roof was enjoying its self as it taunted Roscoe and the others; playing with them.