Chapter One Hundred & Thirty-Two | Fourth World

[ 132 ]

Zephyr had been intently watching Finch's expression, while the young man got lost in his own thoughts. A myriad of expressions flashed across the youth's face, with jumbled thoughts even the God of Anguish could not follow. He had no intentions of disrupting Finch, instead he focused on warming their surroundings so the young man wouldn't feel the chilly breeze which threatened to appear now that the sun had officially sank beneath the horizon.

When Finch continued to remain silent, Zephyr fought his impatience. Never before had anyone been distracted when in his presence. But he knew from the beginning that the youth in front of him was a special case. But given their previous conversation, he now had to tread carefully. And so for the first time in far too many years to recollect, Zephyr hesitated.

He stepped closer to Finch, to check whether the boy was still conscious of his surroundings. The pair of green eyes fixed him in place. Narrowing slightly when Zephyr got too close. So the man stopped and offered a weak smile. "Although I cannot interrupt the chain of events, you are an anomaly in which I can protect. I can take you away from the dangers which surround you, and which only threaten to worsen the longer you remain. The gift of knowledge you have given me, is something I will cherish and be ever-grateful for. But I don't think I will able to gift you something of equal importance, even though I can try. I can start by giving you what you crave the most— safety."

Finch wanted to avoid looking the man in the eyes. They were both piercing and yet appealing. Made to attract mortals and have them collapse to their knees when under the gaze of them. Let alone the rest of his body, which was beautifully crafted and the most attractive being Finch had ever come across. So it was hard for the mere mortal not to picture the time he had shared rolling around passionately with the deity.

"Can you really guarantee it, knowing your speciality?"

With a blustering of the wind, the candles all around them dipped. Darkness swallowed them whole, Zephyr's eyes sharp and visible as Finch refused to alter his gaze. And moments later, as if it had never happened, the flames became still and the light returned.

The only thing that had changed was Zephyr himself, who now stood close enough where he could brush the back of his hand gently against Finch's cheek. It felt like the oxygen that allowed them to breathe had been abruptly sucked out of the space they shared; Finch shivered.

"I understand that you doubt me, my love. And I can give you what you want, which is an apology. But what I do apologise to you for is not answering your questions the last time we spoke. Instead you had to get the answers from elsewhere. But what I can't apologise for, is for what I am. I have lived many of your lifetimes and never before questioned myself. But I do now, and the reason for that is you— and my desire to do right by you. So let me protect you."

There was always a temptation. A weakness that tugged at Fahren's heart. If he truly were Finch's age, if he truly lived as this character and without any other knowledge of the world, there would be no need to question anything the god was saying. He would nod his head and run straight into his arms. Because in the end, doesn't everyone want to feel like they're special? So to be hearing those words from a deity no less, it rendered him conflicted.

But Fahren always had his warnings to fall back on. His earlier memories, which were now blurred, were still proof that he had fought through all difficulties that stood in his way.

"And what do you mean by taking me away? If you want to guarantee that I won't be harmed by anyone, then I won't be spending my future around any living soul."