Chapter Twenty-Eight | First World

[ 28 ]

He had taken the wrong turn somewhere, probably as soon as he left the hall where the banquet was being held, but he couldn't bring himself to turn around. For the first time, he just couldn't stand to be around anyone. He felt like a fool, and he just hoped System wasn't watching as he was completely overwhelmed by his emotions.

As everyone, bar XeLeader and Elder Kang, were at the banquet, the halls were eerily quiet. The only sound being ShuNing's heaving breathing as he leant against one of the pillars.

Many aspects about ZhangFeng now made sense, why the man was so evasive, why he had the abundance of wealth...why he was playing with him. But the man's words resurfaced, the serious expression that he had given him when they were in the carriage. How the man had taken him in his arms and comforted him.

Fool, what did you expect?

He came to this word knowing he couldn't and shouldn't trust anyone. He had planned everything that could be planned, to the last detail. But ZhangFeng unintentionally became a part in them. Someone who had stubbornly wedged his way in.

"You're a fucking idiot, Fahren" he whispered to himself.

How many times had he casually passed off his feelings? How many more excuses could he make? It was because of these irrational thoughts that he was in so much pain right now. He thought he was the expert at avoiding being hurt, he would keep his distance or suddenly disappear on any relationship in the past. But this man- Fu ZhangFeng, was the first person who had, knowingly or not, clipped his wings and kept him beside him.

ShuNing lifted his head, and across from him was a little balcony. Once again designed to get the greatest view of the waterfall. His heavy feet carried him over to it and he closed his eyes, feeling the breeze coming off of it. It dried up his unshed tears and helped cool down the flushing of his cheeks.

"Ning"

The one in blue daren't turn around. His hands, which were fixed on the railing, clenched. He refused to turn around, not until he could control his own petty emotions. More than anything, he was embarrassed. Embarrassed that he had fallen for such an amateur mistake. Embarrassed that he had acted this bodies' age. His father was right- he was still a child.

"Shu Ning, I was going to tell you."

"How cliche." ShuNing spat.

ZhangFeng was perplexed by the word, but by the tone of the youth's voice he didn't think it was necessarily good. From where he stood, he could see Shu Ning's body trembling. Whether it was the temperature, or the man's feelings, he wasn't entirely sure. But his chest tightened knowing that the person he only wished to protect, wouldn't even look at him.

"I'm sorry you had to find out that way. Especially from him."

ShuNing listened to the man's words, allowing him to speak until he had composed himself. And with a sniff, he stood straight and turned around. He thought it would be ok, he prayed it would be ok that when he looked at ZhangFeng he would be able to handle it until he escaped, but at the sight of the man, he felt his eyes water.

Warm tears dripped down his pale cheeks.

"Was this all part of some plan? Was XeWife that angry that I didn't die, that she sent you after me?"

"Shu Ning, that's not it at all.."

"Stop!" ShuNing raised a hand when the man took a step towards him. He shook his head, willing the words to come.

ZhangFeng got the message and stood still.

Although they both then didn't speak for a short while, their expressions told everything. ZhangFeng, like last time, wanted to hold the trembling, distraught-looking boy that he had come to deeply care for, but he couldn't. He felt an uncontrollable desperation to shout out the whole truth to him, not caring of who could be around them.