Chapter Thirty-Two | First World

[ 32 ]

[ A/N: Expect a jumpy chapter. All over the place, just like the oncoming drama. ]

ShuNing awoke to an unnatural feeling. Usually when something niggled at the back of his mind, it was an off-feeling, but when he woke up and could literally feel the disturbance in the air. He brushed aside the blanket and got to his feet quickly.

The barely-lit surroundings showed what time it was, and when he stepped from the room, that Elder Kang had generously given to him, he heard the thunderous sound of water. It had barely rained since arriving in this world, everything had its natural balance, so the influx of sound was unnerving.

As well as the energy that permeated the air. So much so, that even someone on his level could detect it. The further he walked, coming to the door of the building, he felt as if the oxygen had been zapped from the air. He found himself clearing his throat, willing his body to relax.

He reached for the door handle when a servant scurried over. "Young master! It's not safe to go out there." She all but yelled, startling ShuNing in his place. His hand stopped, inches before the handle, and retracted.

"What's going on? Have we been invaded already?"

The servant stood still, and from what he could see, her face was swollen. Her eyes were red, her nose, her cheeks. She had been crying quite severely. As well as her entire body shaking, and as she stood there, trying to compose herself, she broke apart.

"XeTown...the river..." she trembled, bringing her fingers up to her face and whimpering loudly. All rules that she abided by as a strict servant, crumbled as she tried to explain the situation.

Seeing the woman in such a sorry state, ShuNing walked over and tried to comfort the woman. "What happened?" He asked again, softly.

The woman gulped loudly, trying to stifle the waterworks enough to speak. "XeLeader's warriors they, the ones who can manipulate water.. it was so scary, we were all taken by surprise.. and now.." she trembled.

ShuNing's head began to thump, suspicions arose and he prayed it was just his own ridiculous mind. "What did XeLeader's warriors do?"

She sniffed and in between gasps of air, she finally got her words out. "The waterfall, they manipulated it, making it stop for only a few seconds." She whimpered.

"No.. when, how did I not hear this?"

"My master, he had me add something to your drink that would help you sleep better. Forgive me, we had no idea that XeLeader..his own people."

"Elder Kang.. where is he?" ShuNing's hands trembled.

"He left, with his men, when he saw what was going to happen."

Most likely to confront XeLeader, which seemed to be a suicide mission. ShuNing glanced around, eyeing the comforts of the man's house, a place where he would like be recommended to stay in. But he had come this far, how could he hide away?

Much to the displeasure of the weeping servant, ShuNing returned to the front door and yanked it open, stepping outside only to gasp at the dense air. The headache that was growing, thumping in response, giving him an indication of what was causing it. Unlike the servant, who couldn't detect the abundance of energy swarming around, ShuNing was being met head-on.

To anyone else, the density could possibly overwhelm and kill them. Another thing that XeLeader likely didn't care about when he erected this plan. The Chief Advisor's words rang in his mind, when he spoke of how tampering with the waterfall was forbidden. If you did so, it would disrupt the balance and could cause devastation for those further down the river.