Chapter Seven | First World

[ 7 ]

ShuNing was delivered two parchments that morning. The first he made sure to tuck away safely, with the intention of destroying later on, and the second he let the wind snatch from his fingertips. With a gentle smile, that enhanced his ethereal beauty, he brought a persimmon fruit to his lips and continued eating.

The Chuntao estate within XeTown was no longer. They had taken all their valuables and disappeared through the night; just as the rumours were stirring. With their sudden absence, people could only shake their heads, wondering how such a renowned family had become so corrupt.

With the predatory gaze of XeClan stalking their every move, the news of their absence promptly reached XeLeader's ears. Thus resulted in the letter that sat by ShuNing's feet.

"Young Master," a young boy, one of ShuNing's new servants to be exact, chirped happily. They both currently resided within the open courtyard of the estate which now belonged to ShuNing. No longer was it possessed by crooked servants.

Turning his attention to the youth, who was three years his junior, ShuNing addressed him with a smile.

The young servant, Guang Bai, was one of three servants that were gifted from the Chief Advisor to ShuNing shortly after the death of the old ones. Initially hesitant to accept, the older man reassured the latter that these three were hand-selected by the Chief Advisor himself. He could guarantee their unquestionable loyalty.

In reality, the only reason ShuNing appeared apprehensive, was because of the many occasions he intended to sneak out of the clan's walls. There was no question that these servants could in fact be the eyes and ears for either the chief advisor or XeLeader himself.

"Mian mian, where's the fire?" ShuNing wondered all whilst the boy-servant took it literally and came to a dead halt, looking left and then right. "Young master, there is no fire. Do you smell ember?"

ShuNing couldn't stop the burst of amusement he felt at the sight of Guang Bai's deeply-concerned expression. Whilst he laughed to an extent where tears welled up, the boy could only cock his head as he watched his master.

ShuNing wafted his hand, dismissing the worried look. "It's a saying, Mian Mian, it means what's the hurry?"

The servant's mouth formed an 'o' shape before revealing a gentle look of his own. "Ah. Young master is so wise." And beautiful, but Guang Bai flushed red and kept that secret confession to himself.

"A gift has arrived for you from XeLeader." He instead opted to say.

ShuNing wasn't as much surprised as he was curious. The earlier letter addressed to him from XeLeader was congratulating him, in much milder terms. The letter was a form of acknowledgement from the older man. A way of presenting his ego, just written down. Although praising ShuNing, XeLeader still managed to have it written in such a way that the reader would feel oppressed.

Though, he wasn't someone who turned down a gift.

Setting down his breakfast, ShuNing rose from his chair and followed his sprightly servant. Walking down the freshly-polished and waxed flooring, they reached the entrance of the courtyard house. Outside the front stood two warriors that answered solely to XeLeader himself.

Presenting themselves in the uniform that encased their solid forms, they stood proudly, their expressions solemn. They were rooted either side of a red chest, one deeply engraved with the sigil of XeClan.

Upon his arrival, the two men swiftly propped open the chest. Without so much of an acknowledgement towards ShuNing, because he was of lesser status. Blood related or not.