Chapter Thirty-One | First World

[ 31 ]

"Young master, I have heard some troubling things." Guang Bai confessed late that morning, nervously fiddling with his fingers.

"What is it?" ShuNing gave him his undivided attention.

Guang Bai stepped a little closer, and seeing the little one's troubled expression, ShuNing opened his arms. When they both sat on the seat side-by-side, now hugging affectionately, Guang Bai felt more confident to speak up.

"In XeTown, there is deep unrest. All of our usual markets have disappeared, the long-boats that usually sell your favourites, have also left. Shops are closing, with no mention of when they're re-opening. This has all happened so fast, and I confess I am quite scared." He explained, clinging to his young master, that held all his love and trust.

"En, it is a scary situation. Have you heard any whispers?" ShuNing coaxed, running his fingers through Mianmian's soft hair.

Guang Bai didn't respond immediately, feeling tentative to broach the subject. In a mere couple of days, the knowledge of Wang Sect's presence on Xe's outskirts had spread like wildfire. There was no hiding it any longer, and since then XeLeader had issues a statement, sent out to everyone within the clan, saying: 'there is no such thing, whoever speaks of such ludicrous ideologies will have their tongues removed'.

"There are some, young master, saying that the Wang sect soldiers have already breached the territory-lines. But, that's impossible right? How could our XeLeader ignore that fact?"

"I can't even begin to imagine what that man is thinking, Mianmian, but don't worry, I will keep us safe." ShuNing comforted, although he himself felt the niggling doubts. What was XeLeader doing? There is no way he would let his clan be infiltrated and taken over that easily. Or perhaps he was playing chicken?

"What about you, young master?" Mianmian asked from the happy position within ShuNing's arms.

"What about me?" He smiled

"These past few days you haven't been your normal happy self. I can tell. Wait, young master it's not because of that man is it?" Guang Bai clearly tensed up, looking displeased.

This made ShuNing laugh. He was aware of how protective his little bun was of him, and for some reason he had a strong dislike for ZhangFeng. "I suppose it could be because of him, but not for what you're probably thinking. He is being punished for something that he had no part in."

"Ah, like you were, young master?"

"Mm. I suppose so, yes."

At the mention of the man, Guang Bai could see that his master had once again become lost in his thoughts. A gentle expression, which upset the little servant in many ways. Not only just because his master was burdened by unhappiness, but also because it would appear his young master had found someone he had truly fallen for.

"Young master," Mianmian took ShuNing's hand and wound their pale fingers together. The ever-present feeling he got when he touched his master, making his chest thump. ", with every horrendous situation that has stood in your way, you have somehow managed to defeat them. That's why I find it unbelievable that this situation would be any different."

ShuNing squeezed the soft hand holding his own. He was thankful he had come across Guang Bai, the sweet little servant of this world who had approached him with an open-heart. He felt an unexplainable attachment to the boy; a strong desire to protect him.

"Ah, you're right. I think right now, because there are so many variables, I am not sure how to act. But perhaps I should throw caution to the wind." Although the little servant sat to the side, completely bewildered by his master's words, he could only support him from his promising tone of voice.