Chapter One Hundred & Sixty-Two | Fifth World

[ 162 ]

Raphael fit in well with his surroundings. His coat perched over the back of his comfortable seat, as he sat with one leg crossed over the other in one of his top favourite suits. Other than Single Malt Whiskey's that usually came with a hefty price-tag, the other means of his investments came in the form of his tailored suits. Which had only truly become an obsession courtesy of the gorgeous lady who had only just entered the restaurant.

Hazel Westergaard was a vision. She carried an air of opulence that would naturally intimidate most who had the stereotypical expectation of her personality rattling around in their heads. But as was usually the case, and the reason Hazel had one of the lowest staff-turnovers when it came to her small business, was because the assumptions were always shattered when she smiled.

Raphael had always considered it dazzling and he felt the same way he did the first time he set eyes upon her. Putting down his abnormally-small cup containing ridiculously expensive coffee, Raphael stood up to greet his beloved wife.

Eyes naturally followed the classy ladies movements, right from when the restaurant doors were opened for her by another star-struck customer. Raphael was very lucky and his in-laws had once been very sure to remind him of that fact. In fact, they said it every time they saw him and only ceased when they greeted their three grandsons.

"Raphael, you're looking well. It's been too long." Hazel stepped into his embrace and kissed his cheek affectionately.

"I was in our marriage-bed yesterday morning, darling." Raphael defended.

"And yet clearly it is does not tempt you as it once did, as you were conspicuously absent from it last night and this morning." With a flippant shrug, Hazel sidestepped her husband in order to take the seat he quickly pulled out for her.

Raphael sat down across from her and poured her a glass of water from the jug he had ordered the moment he had arrived. "I had an unexpected meeting early this morning so I decided to stay at one of the hotels in the city. But I did text you, my love."

"Oh, did you? I didn't notice. But after all these years it may just be my wishful thinking to hope my husband would phone me."

"My love, I did try to ph—"

Hazel narrowed her eyes at him and Raphael swallowed his words. He dipped his head for a moment to express his sorrow. "I can only hope my beautiful wife will forgive me."

By the time Hazel Westergaard's glass of water touched the table once again, her attitude had completely changed. "You're wearing my favourite suit and tie that I picked out for you, as well as the cuff-links I bought you for your birthday three years ago. That in itself is enough to tell me how sorry you are, darling."

Raphael presented an award-winning smile, an expression he was only able to give his wife. It was one of the many things that initially won her over when he asked time and time again for a date.

"I also can't deny it was nice to have the bed to myself, without someone hogging it."

"Don't get used to it." Raphael barely let her finish.

Hazel scoffed and then after scanning their surroundings, regarded her husband curiously, "Are you going to tell me why you chose this place for brunch?"

"There's nothing wrong with trying something new."

Those hazel eyes pierced him and made the business tycoon sweat. He tried not to budge and was barely keeping his mouth shut when Hazel spoke up. "Says the man who has ordered the same meal for the past ten years every time we go on date-night at a particular restaurant. One which we could have gone to for brunch. Instead you have chosen... what are you even drinking, Raphael?"