Chapter One Hundred & Fifty | Fifth World

[ 150 ]

For the first time since the test had begun, Fahren became aware of the strange 'loading screen' like hesitation as he transferred from one life to another. In hindsight, being shrouded in darkness should have panicked him, but instead he embraced the still silence— where he wasn't expected to say or do anything.

He allowed himself the short time where he was free from judgement, to pity himself. Which could only come to an end when he was swallowed-up by his strange, new and concluding life. But unlike in the past where his eyes would pop open and he possessed enough energy to at least take in the unfamiliarity of his surroundings, he now felt the literal weight on his chest preventing him from doing so.

There was a distinct and reoccurring sound that appeared to grow quiet and then pick back up again in a moments notice, which Fahren could only think held a likeness to the usually piercing and aggravating beeping of a heart monitor. But it wasn't so invasive, instead sounding far calmer than it's counterpart used in traditional hospitals.

Fahren opened his eyes and immediately squinted, unable to take anything in under the flooding of sunlight. But before he had to think about shielding his eyes, a slow 'swoosh' of a sound filled the space and a sandy-coloured fabric-of-sorts appeared around the windows and adjusted to Fahren's vision.

Moving as quickly and effectively as the opening and closing of an eyelid. It didn't completely cut off the sun, instead adding a layer of protection whilst maintaining the warm glow that allowed him to see around him without difficulty. And all achieved in an instant. Leaving Fahren bewildered.

If it wasn't for System's mind-numbing technique that kept Fahren firmly distanced from the path of insanity, then Fahren may still have channelled Finch's primitive-living mindset and ran around like a madman who was completely overwhelmed by his new surroundings, and ended up setting fire to something along the way.

Now that he could see without his eyeballs being scalded, Fahren could see the rest of what appeared to be a sparse, yet comfortable-feeling, room. It could hardly be considered a hospital room, as there were no wires connecting to bulky devices, nor was there stacked shelves with essential supplies crammed onto it.

Instead the room, which was square with rounded edges, seemed acutely catered to ensuring it looked the least clinical as possible. Even the roof that sat above his head, constructed out of the same sandy-coloured material as what wrapped around the outer-glass of the spotless windows, draped down in an informal fashion.

Upon closer inspection, and what became clearer upon Fahren's insistence to see what had caught his eye, was an image directly above him and reflected on the same strange material. He could only stare in awe as a full-body scan became obvious. And it was just as intricately detailed as an X-Ray.

Testing what was above him, Fahren lifted his hand after some restrictions placed upon him by his new body. This was mirrored, and more. A flurry of colours were displayed, igniting in the brain and ending with a cluster of red dots manifesting on the exact hand he was moving.

Like a child discovering something new and fun, Fahren eagerly flexed his fingers. They were a little stiffer than he would have expected. He wondered if the condition of his new body had been in some accident, so he thought it best to examine himself and try to figure out what life he must now lead in this clearly-futuristic environment.

At a glance, Fahren knew that the hands he had been entertaining the live-scanner with, were his own. The previously calming sound that circulated the room became a touch louder, as it was likely responding to the image that lay above Fahren's head— the same full-body scan that exploded into a series of vibrant colours as it detected the acceleration of the patient's heart-rate.