Chapter One Hundred & Two | Third World

[ 102 ]

"You don't have to take part in this, Hansel." Aksel reminded him after pulling him to one side. The middle-aged man no longer appeared to be a haggard, over-worked doctor, and instead had a little more meat on his bones. Hansel could only imagine it was the Supreme Commander who was taking good care of him, and for that he was thankful. Aksel had become someone he found himself often thinking about; worrying about more like. Especially given the current situation.

Hansel gave the man a soft smile, "You know I can't just stand by, especially since one of the men who is most likely to attack, is Valentin."

"We've all met a psycho or two in our lifetimes, that doesn't mean you have to be accountable for their actions."

Hansel shook his head lightly. He had complex thoughts when it came to the yellow-eyed man. Trying to explain them would always sound strange, "I just need to be sure he's defeated. Either by my own hands, or just seeing it with my own eyes." Just like the last two worlds, Hansel felt compelled to make sure the man was dealt with appropriately. And make sure he couldn't hurt anyone else.

It seemed to be that the antagonist, whilst he was his own definition of a bad seed, was always triggered by Fahren. He spiralled somewhat into insanity, a deep bloodlust that perhaps only came into fruition as Hansel managed to slip out from between his fingers for the umpteenth time.

Aksel didn't say anything while the young man was absorbed in his own thoughts, but eventually he sighed. Pinching the bridge of his nose he nodded his head in defeat. "You're going to make this old man cry, but if you insist then you have to make sure that you focus on yourself."

"You're not that old.."

He was swiftly clipped over the head by a gloved hand and while he pouted, rubbing his fresh wound, Hansel looked at Aksel with a victimised expression. One which didn't work on the man in front of him, especially by the way his eyes were narrowed. "Don't gloss over the latter part of my instruction, young man. Though I know you undoubtedly care about your comrades, they are perfectly capable of looking after their own behinds. What I worry about, is that Valentin is an egotistical character who has had his pride wounded, which means he's going to inevitably target you."

"I know that, but it won't just be me. As he said the last time we met, he feels like we betrayed him somewhat, so Jakob and Bjorn will be on his radar as well; but we're banking on that."

Aksel sighed again but this time, clapped his hands on Hansel's shoulders, and then his face. His gloved hands protected them from directly touching; and any memories the material held was something Hansel could suppress. "I would never underestimate you, kid. But, just remember that you're not bullet-proof. And don't doubt the lengths someone as mad as Andrei and Valentin would go to, in order to achieve victory."

"Copy that. Now, is it my turn?"

"What?"

Hansel narrowed his eyes, "You have a canny ability of poking your nose in other people's business. Though that's what makes you as popular as you are, you need to also look out for yourself if shit hits the fan. We're going to keep this as quiet as possible, but the public are aware of the risks. If someone does something stupid, do me a favour and don't join them."

"Very well, your old man will watch his back." Aksel probably didn't think much about what he said, but the words had Hansel stare at him silently for a few seconds. Then a warm expression returned to his face and he nodded his head.

"I'll get going, I'm sure the Supreme Commander is eager to see you."

"Why do you think I'm hiding here?"