Chapter One Hundred & Fifty-Four | Fifth World

[ 154 ]

It wasn't until a week later when Fahren was able to break free from the warm embrace of his family, who took the saying of killing someone with kindness to a whole new level. They were determined to keep him out of harms way, and kept reminding him of the dire state he had recovered from— where he had almost died on multiple occasions and if his heart had stopped then the doctors reiterated their concerns about being unable to resuscitate him due to the extent of his injuries.

But as much as Fahren told them that he understood, in reality he didn't. Not entirely, as his stubborn brain refused to show him the traumatic memories that were firmly lodged in there. So meanwhile, he had to adhere to his family's demands for him to take things slow. And in doing so he was eventually allowed to leave the home after a week, with a valid excuse of going back to his apartment to pack some things.

Once there, it was strange walking inside. For one, his old apartment felt so empty. It now lacked any of the character Fahren looked for when he imagined his perfect home. Then there was the small issue of there being no one to share it with.

Fahren dropped his keys on one of the kitchen counters of the contemporary-styled apartment. He glanced left and right, thinking back to the time he had been so excited to find such a place. Somewhere he could finally live a life of his own, without anyone breathing down his neck telling him what he should and shouldn't be doing.

It was astonishingly overpriced because of its close proximity to the heart of the city. But at the time, seeing such a lucrative apartment come onto the rental market was incredibly rare, and so he didn't hesitate to jump at the opportunity to contact the owner. To which Fahren presently sighed at his own immaturity, knowing that in the real world, when a deal is far too good to be true then it usually always was.

When he reached his office, sliding open the doors that were made out of rice-paper, he approached his desk that was unusually clean. There was little doubt in his mind that his parents had likely accessed the apartment while he was out of commission.

Grabbing a seat, he hunted through his drawers and pulled out various files. While surrounded by his family, more little questions began to niggle at him. Curiosities which couldn't be quashed without a little digging.

Eventually finding what he was looking for, Fahren displayed sheets of paper out in front of him. He read through them all and found the owner of the apartment's name and the company who represented him. Anonymity was easy enough to bypass when possessing the right connections, and a healthy bank account.

But when going up against the giants of the security world, Fahren understood that it wouldn't be that easy, as he had once again hit a brick wall when it came to gathering intel on his landlord. Instead he opted for a different route, accessing his bank information and in particular the bank account he had been paying money into throughout the duration of his rental agreement.

Experience when it came to money helped Fahren figure out the location of the landlord's bank place. Which acted as a slight crack in the door, as he barged through and easily cross-examined information he had in front of him with information he obtained elsewhere.

As it turned out, the exact amount of money he had once spent on paying for his apartment, was identical to the amount his father added to the joint family account every month. One which Fahren hadn't touched in years.

How he hadn't noticed it until now was embarrassing, but at the same time Fahren had to laugh. His father was the mastermind of the WATSS empire, he wasn't the type to make simple mistakes when it came to privacy, security or encrypting the movement of money. He had wanted Fahren to see it when the appropriate time came, when Fahren felt vulnerable enough to reach out for the help of the joint account.