Chapter One Hundred & Ten | Fourth World

[ 110 ]

As Finch had predicted, the man was in fact the Chief's controversial second son. Even though both were born a mere minute between each other, Falcon was given the derogatory title of being second. In appearance alone, there was no massive difference that would make the silver-haired brother any less of man than Hawk or his father. But in the eyes of those who had deep-rooted faith in their clan, they perceived Falcon's confrontation of their benevolent god as treachery.

So it made sense, upon his return, that there were many whispers circulating. And Finch found it a convenient way of gathering more information he didn't previously know. Such as the people's perception of Falcon being the equivalent of a contagious disease. So they kept their distance.

Finch became instantly wary of the man by the way people spoke. Not that he cared much for the man's ideologies— or anyone else's for that matter— it was because he feared the repercussions of a man scorned.

Though Falcon didn't possess the trademark yellow-eyes, Finch wasn't prepared to rule him out completely. He had been on the receiving end of the many times in which the man's incarnations snapped. He was deadly at the best of times, let alone in a world where the difficultly level had been ramped up.

So he moved with the herd; watching discreetly yet keeping a safe distance.

Following Falcon, was his most trusted men. They each had their own controversies and were equally as disliked as the man they chose to flank. But as a collective, they were known for being some of the strongest within the clan. So no one dared to anger them, and they understood why the Chief was tolerant of them even though they had very conflicting views.

As Hawk had suspected, the Chief was somewhat aware of the tension between his two sons. Hawk was also one of the strongest and most envied of individuals within the clan, so other than Falcon, there was no one who would wish to harm him. But Finch was reluctantly told by Hawk, that the Chief failed to confront Falcon upon his return. Because travelling back with him, was multiple horses.

Obtained through obvious means; which turned Finch's stomach.

"What's that?" Hawk poked his head up to try and see what the young man had been diligently working on over the past few days. His energy levels had gradually returned so he wasn't unwillingly falling to sleep every other minute. So the pair inevitably grew closer, and it gave Finch space to breathe. He wasn't someone who could bite his tongue for long, and Hawk didn't seem bothered in the slightest when he was given a lecture about all sorts of things from his sharp-tongued helper.

Finch looked over his shoulder from where he sat on the ground, a smug expression on his young face. He looked like a child who was up to no good. And it had Hawk scrunching up his face, wondering if he should've kept his mouth shut.

"These are crutches." Finch gave the grand reveal, swivelling around on his knees and presenting what looked, to Hawk, like two long sticks. But as he looked closer he could see there was more to them.

"Since the stitches are holding, and the swelling has gone down, I think we can try getting you walking again— or at least standing up." Finch said as he stood up. The crutches were tall for him, but that was what he intended. Although he didn't know the future Chief's exact measurements, anything taller than himself was going to work.

Met with the ambitiousness of the young man, Hawk was stunned. But eventually he had to sigh, reluctantly revealing that it wouldn't be possible, "My leg isn't strong enough."

"That's what the crutches are for," Finch was excited for the both of him as he stepped closer to the man lying on the furs. "The crutches will keep you upright and take the weight entirely off your injured leg. You won't even need to step on it."