Chapter One Hundred & Sixty-One | Fifth World

[ 161 ]

"We're not taking the car?" Fahren asked when they stepped out of the building and onto the busy roadside, where Emilio dismissed a car that was waiting for them.

"I'm following by your father's example and thought we would have a customary drink after a long meeting." He suggested and gestured down the road to where one of the few bars were located in the business nook of the city.

Fahren smiled to himself, "I think it can only be classified as customary when it's something you frequently do, Emilio. But I can't say I'm not surprised, as it's you who scolds me whenever I bring up having a drink other than water." They both turned and started walking down the street and away from Radical Innovations' main office.

Given the time of the day, the temperature had dropped quite considerably and the city's automatic lights were flickering on. People were eagerly leaving their work-places, either to head home or making a beeline for the boujee section of the city where Fahren once lived. But Emilio and Fahren walked against the tide.

"As your healthcare specialist, I wouldn't recommend drinking alcohol when you're still taking part in the occasional test." Emilio comfortably lapsed into his usual way of talking, but then paused to spare a look at Fahren. "But as someone whose immensely grateful to you, and wants to treat you, I'd say that a small drink couldn't hurt."

Fahren could practically feel the tension in Emilio's body as he walked beside him. Their minor moment of intimacy had bypassed all logic for the man who thrived off it. He was left struggling to figure out what to say and do. Which was why Fahren tried not to laugh when Emilio suggested they go for a drink in the first place, as it was clear the normally confident genius was somewhat anxious to be alone with him.

They stopped in front of a restaurant instead of a bar. It was relatively busy, but those inside were more likely to be colleagues who had let their work overflow into dinner arrangements. This boded well for Emilio, who seemed skittish when it came to anything formal at the moment. He opened the door for Fahren, who continued to suppress his amusement as he stepped inside.

A young woman was quick to greet them and asked if it was just the two of them. Fahren could almost hear the sardonic reply lingering on the tip of his partner's tongue. So he nominated himself as their spokesperson and was eventually guided to a table nearest to the window.

Before they sat down, Fahren peeked at Emilio and spotted an expression that made him pause. He turned his head to the woman and offered a charming smile.

"If you don't mind, can we get a table somewhere else?"

They instead moved to a table with more privacy, and while Fahren could feel Emilio's gaze on the back of his head, he never turned to meet it. He feigned ignorance as he shrugged off his coat and draped it over the back of his seat.

The waitress gave them some time to look over the menu, just as those nearest to their table got a good look at them as they got comfortable. When it came to Emilio, Fahren didn't blame the women for nudging each other and gesturing over.

He was in the process of taking off his coat and with his height, he was certainly eye-catching. Underneath he was wearing a dark-blue suit, which he had likely chosen to wear having expected to have his head bitten off by the entirety of the WATSS family. Ordinarily he chose to dress smart-casual, probably out of comfort and because he worked with the same people everyday, but the three-piece-suit was certainly a gift in itself for Fahren.

Emilio discarded his suit jacket and unfortunately that proved to be the extent of his undressing. But Fahren couldn't not ogle the sleeves of the engineering genius' white shirt, of which were deliciously tight and torturous in its revealing of the movements of Emilio's muscles underneath. It was like his own personal show, but in real time it was over far too quickly and Emilio soon took a seat, none the wiser.