Chapter Twenty-One | First World

[ 21 ]

Once arriving at the auction-house, it was clear to see how popular the whole event was. Everyone was dressed in their best pieces, huddling with the people they had travelled with, and murmuring about those around them.

A majority of the people were making a slow entrance into the large building, through one particular way, whilst ZhangFeng and ShuNing bypassed them all and headed for another. ZhangFeng's hand lightly guided ShuNing on his lower back, keeping him moving so they weren't caught up in the useless nattering of the crowds waiting.

Though there were a few special seating options for those who had all the coin to waste, the large swarm of people had yet to see anyone arrive and head to the separate. Of course, the auction didn't start for another half an hour, so there was no need for those with honourable titles to arrive yet.

The interior of the building was designed with seating tiers surrounding the central area, which in this case would be where the man in charge would be presenting and auctioning off the various items. The 'box' that ZhangFeng directed them both to was close to the front, and like all others, offset to the side so that there was no one in front or behind them.

Either side were thick drapes which were hung at an angle where their upper-bodies and faces were covered. This was out of common courtesy for those who had spent a fair bit of money already in order to occupy these seats, but one could easily lean forward against the rail that was bordering the stage, where they could be seen.

As both men sat down, the seating being plush cushions instead of the rather-sturdy looking seats just outside, ShuNing tried to beat his onslaught of nerves. His feet lightly tapping the floor as his fingers twisted together as he hid them under the many layers of his robe.

The room filled up quickly, a low thrum of chatter sounding from all around the room. The light was dim all around, so much so you couldn't see the faces of those seated on the opposite side. The only area that was well lit was the area in front of them, on the stage which only consisted of an alter that stood right in the centre.

"Elder brother," ShuNing, who was already sat quite close to ZhangFeng, leant over ever so slightly so he could whisper, "are we supposed to call out our bidding?"

Zhang Feng's attention was, for a short time, captured by the sight of ShuNing leaning against him without hesitation, whilst the little minx was looking around bewildered. The little one's lips were slightly parted but were moist as they had been nervously licked.

The sound of his own heartbeat pulsing in his ears was enough of an incentive to remove his gaze before anything dangerous happened. "Use this." ZhangFeng eventually replied, handing over a black paddle with a gold design on the front. Likely the emblem for this auction-house.

ShuNing eyed it with interest whilst his companion shook his head lightly, wondering why he was seemingly so interested in such dull things.

After a short time, a man wearing a golden-coloured robe entered the room and mounted the stage. Evidently he held a lot of respect as the murmurings grew silent at the sight of the man and a few bobbed their heads instinctively. The experienced fellow, who had maintained the same role of Chief Auctioneer for many years, knew how to work a crowd.

He flung out his arms and slowly turned in a circle before giving a semi-dipped bow. "Sirs, madams, lords and ladies, I bid you welcome to Xinshan's official auction." The man didn't focus on anyone in particular in the crowds, but his tactful eyes lingered on the various occupied boxes that were in his eye-line.

Although this man was well renowned, he was known more by his ability to pull the wool over one's eyes. This fact was only known by those in high-positions, who knew to keep their money-pouches close to their chests when dealing with the man.