Chapter Fifty-Five | Second World

[ 55 ]

Ryōichi was under no impression that their conversation was going to be a short one, so he turned his head in the direction of the bar and signalled for his regular. Any member of staff would be acutely aware of their boss if they were present; so when they saw the call come in, they immediately got to work.

He took a seat opposite Hiromasa, who looked quite relaxed in his current position. Though the man could be considered an 'important person', Ryōichi felt no pressure to be on-edge around the man. So he didn't readjust his tie, nor entertain the idea of sitting any straighter.

"You've been busy lately." Ryōichi acknowledged, accepting the small glass of whiskey as it arrived. After a few sips, he lamented how it didn't taste as good as the time he tasted it from his lover's lips. But he swirled the glass lightly anyway, looking over to the yellow-eyed man who was watching him closely.

"As have you," Hiromasa tilted his head to the side, "Judging by a certain lingering scent on you." He mentioned nonchalantly, even though the corner of his mouth curled up. Hoping for some rise from the other Alpha, but Ryōichi was old enough to know the man's deck of tricks.

Like himself, Hiromasa had always boasted his exceptional talent for scents. The man likely went through the same situation that his son was currently going through. But even so, Ryōichi would call the man's bluff, because he and Hisaya hadn't mated, their scents hadn't fully moulded together. So by Hiromasa's comment, it was clear that he knew something.

When Ryōichi refused to batter an eyelid, the other man was far from deterred. He rested an elbow on the arm of his chair, leaning his tall body to one side. "Playing coy?"

"No, I just wonder if this meeting is just going to be you talking about Hisaya, though I can't say I approve because in my opinion it looks like you're becoming a little too obsessed with the Omega." Ryōichi chose to objectify the young man he'd spent a glorious evening with, only to further manipulate the man in front of him, who had no concept of feelings.

"Though I smell a scent on you, I wouldn't have known it was Hisaya Reo's without you confirming it."

Ryōichi didn't believe a word as he raised a brow, "Now who's playing coy?"

"Hah!" Hiromasa bared his teeth as he grinned, "I suppose you're right. You can't blame me for testing you a little, I remember you being the standoffish type who observes from afar, but now... well I suppose a hole's a hole." He shrugged and Ryōichi's grip on his glass instinctively tightened.

"What is it you want, Kazuki?"

Both men fell into silence, staring at each other. One wanted to continue playing, keeping the other in the dark about the information he had on his possession, whilst the more maturer of the two would have preferred if the man spoke quicker, getting the whole situation over with. Ryōichi really didn't want to spend his evening with the man, nor did he want to be seen to be either.

"I wondered how little Hisaya could suddenly gather up the courage to go against someone like me. Initially, when I heard it, we all laughed. It's quite a good feeling having a small pest trying to take you on, only to be stomped on. But who would have thought he'd bounce back up? And I have to give it to him," Hiromasa shrugged, "He's proven to be far more of annoyance than I thought he'd be."

"He's proven that he's quite good at playing the business game, and to some degree he has a big following. Though, it may be out of pity because everyone knows his allegations are baseless."

Ryōichi scoffed, drawing the other alpha's attention. "Are they though?" He asked rhetorically, before shifting ever so slightly in his seat and continuing, "I've been at this game for a long time now, I've mostly seen all there is to see involving corrupted individuals like yourself. So I know what it looks like when someone's feeling threatened."