Chapter 3

Halfway to anteiku we ran into kaneki. "Kaneki ken!" Hide shouts still holding my hand.
"This is taiga. I passed out in the street and she saved me." he said enthusiastically, patting the top of my head gently. I look at kaneki and mouth 'I'll explain later' so he nods along. Kaneki then hugs me. "Wow. two boys in one day." I whispered to myself.
Hide smiles. "Isn't she just amazing?" he says.
Kaneki, still hugging me agrees. "Well I have to get off now." hide says. Kaneki moves away. "Bye losers." he says letting go of my hand and smiling. I take his jacket off and give it him. "Oh I nearly forgot that." He says smiling. He takes the jacket and laughs. "Try not to let little taiga blush much more! She can't handle all that blood rushing to her face!" He joked and ran off.
"You saved his life from the gormet ghoul and left without a scratch. I nearly died..."
"Well... I guess maybe circumstances were different." I say walking with kaneki.
"Hide really likes you already." He says smiling. "You two look really cute together."
"Hide isn't really my type." I shrug.
"What is your type?" Kaneki asks sounding highly interested.
"Erm...boys with dark hair. Strong boys. Nice eyes. I prefer ghouls to humans as well." I say smiling. "More in common with a ghoul."
"My type is a really pretty girl that likes to read and can look after herself well." I smile and take my hair down and I cant help but notice kaneki is staring at me. "What?" I ask.
"Your hair. It's so long." He says.
"Yeah. I know." I began blushing, knowing he was paying attention to me made me feel awkward.
We eventually get to the cafe and Hinami is waiting up with touka. I smile as she runs over. "How did you escape?" Touka asked.
"Jumped through the sky light in the ceiling." I say picking up Hinami.
"She saved hide aswell." kaneki says smiling.
I carry Hinami upstairs and sit on the couch holding her.
"I can remember when I was young  and your mum was in her late teens, she took me out to play with our kagunes and there was a little kitty stuck in a tree so I jumped up into the tree and got it. But I couldn't get down, so your mum had to use her kagune to get me down."
Hinami snuggled into me. "Tell me more..." she said smiling.
"Well when your mum met your dad she wasn't sure if he was human so she cooked him some human food and he ate if all just so her effort wasn't wasted. When he was sick everywhere we kinda gathered he was a ghoul." Hinami smioed brightly, wanting more. "Erm let's see. When your mum was pregnant with you investigators were after me because I got caught not wearing a mask and using my kagune so your dad fixed it. I don't know how but he saved my life over and over again. I've always been a stupid reckless teenager but I'm going to change for you Hinami. Your mum and dad won't want us to be upset. They'll want us to use it as a lesson. They died protecting you and sometimes you have to make sacrifices for those you love. So you have to sacrifice these sad and mad feelings you're feeling for your mum and dad. " I say stroking Hinamis head.
She slowly begins to fall asleep so I carry her into her bed and tuck her in. I kiss her head. "Goodnight Hinami." I say kindly. I walk out and shut the door. Kaneki is stood there. "I haven't quite thanked you for saving Hide."
"You did, and it's fine. I haven't thanked you for saving Hinami though."
He sat on the couch. I began jumping In front of him with a huge smile on my face.
"What are you doing?" He asked.
"I'm doing my 'please let me make you the best coffee in the world' dance."
"Is that a dance or a question."
"Both..."
He nods. "Okay make me a coffee."
I smile and run into the kitchen and make me and him a coffee. I run back over to him and hand him the cup. He takes a sip.
"Wow. This really is the best coffee in the world isn't it." he says necking the rest.
I take a small sip of mine and nod.
"Ryo' always made the best coffee when we were kids. Better then my mum and dad's so she taught me."
"Were you close?" He asked.
"Yeah. She was my best friend and my sister. I loved her."
"Why did you live in different places."
"Well, i got mixed up with a lot of bad ghouls and Ryo didn't what Hinami growing up around it and we had a huge argument and I stayed away, until I heard that Ryo' had died." I said looking down at my coffee.
"She died protecting Hinami." He said stroking my back.
I look up and wipe the tears from my face. "But I didn't even say goodbye..."
"She knows you loved her. She's probably up there in heaven watching over you protecting her daughter. As a mother that's all she can ask. Hinami is finally a bit happier and it's all thanks to you."
I neck the coffee and bang the cup on the table. "You're right."
"I know."
He bends over and pulls a book out from under the couch. He begins reading it. I hover over him, staring at the book. "What?" He asks.
"I'm bored."
He nods and continues reading, like he either doesn't care, or doesn't know how to help.
"Why don't you read to me?" I ask.
He looks up and his eyes flutter. "Do you really want me to?" He asks.
"Yeah!" I say happily.
He nods so I lie down on the couch, resting my feet on him, and then he begins reading. I didn't mean to fall asleep whilst he was reading but I've had a pretty stressful day.
I begin to open my yes and I'm in kaneki's arms. "Oh I was just putting you to bed. " he says. "You're really light. Maybe lighter then Hinami." he says smiling.
"Because I'm so small and skinny." I say jumping down.
"I think it's cute that you're so small."
"That makes one of us. I hate it" I say stretching.
He opened a door for me. "This is where you're sleeping." He says pointing at the empty room. "Feel free to decorate it how you want."
"Where are you sleeping?"
"Home."
"Let me know when you get home safe please." I say smiling.
He nods and walks out of the apartment.