Chapter 7

Hide should be coming over soon, and honestly, things seem to be going really good and I am enjoying spending time with him, the only thing that concerns me is that I might blow up at him the same way I did with Touka and Nishiki. It's not like I had any intention to be volatile around people my sister cared about because I want to do her justice, but I guess I'm not dealing with her death as well as I'm making out. Losing her has made me angry, and I was always an angry person, but knowing she was killed in cold blood had made me worse.

There's a knock at the door so Hinami ran over and let the person in. You came." I said smiling at Hide.
He walked in holding a pot filled with some kind of food. "I bought some food. I thought maybe you could critique my cooking." He laughed and made his way to the kitchen. I shut the door behind him and looked at Hinami. She smiled cheekily. "Have fun trying to get out of that." she whispered, walking into her bedroom. I walked over to him and he had set out everything on the table, it was so sweet and romantic, how could have I refused? Nobody has made this much of an effort with me in a long time and to say no would be rude.
I sat down with him and tucked in, swallowing it, trying to keep it down, trying to stop heaving.
After we finished, I said I was full we sat on the couch.
"You haven't said one word since we finished eating, was the food bad?"
"No. It was lovely." I tried keeping the sentence to a minimum, knowing if I didn't focus solely on not puking, I would... puke.
"You look sick. I really hope it wasn't the food."
"It wasn't."
"Look, I'll go and you get some rest. I'll see you tomorrow and hopefully you feel a little better." He stood up and let himself out. Finally, he's gone. I ran to the toilet, hunched over throwing up. The bathroom door opened but I didn't bother turning around, I just kept my head in the toilet. "Hinami, you can joke about me being an idiot later!" I said throwing up some more. She held my hair out of my face and began to rub my back, and based on the size of the hand, I knew it wasn't her, and if it wasn't her, who the hell is in my house touching me?
"You okay now?" They asked. I turned around slightly, just enough to catch a glimpse and when I did, I turned back the the toilet and threw up again. But that was it. I wasn't going to be sick anymore, it was all out, and yet he continued rubbing my back.
I slowly stood up, unable to make eye contact, because throwing up wasn't exactly a turn on for anyone.
I rinsed my face off with some cold water and sighed.
"You feeling any better?"
I kept my eyes glued to the floor, unable to bring myself to look at him. I couldn't bare to see the disappointment or disgrace plastered on his face.
"It's okay. I guess I always had a hunch. A little girl like you carrying me for ages. And I do remember bits of what happened that night. I remember your voice and the fruity smell that you have." Hide laughed, keeping that same smile glued to his face.
"You aren't scared of me? Shouldn't you be running for the hills or at least the CCG?"
"You look after your niece in a public cafe and you've been with me a lot. If you were going to kill me you would have done it by now, and the fact that you ate all of that food knowing you'd be sick just because I made it, just solidifies the fact that you aren't a monster. You're a teenage girl with a secret, and I don't mind."
I began smiling. "My cooking is bad for a human let alone a ghoul. You eating it does mean a lot."
I looked at hide with tears in my eyes. I just grabbed him and hugged him. He wrapped his arms around me and began swaying side to side which was really soothing. I slowly moved away and hide tucked the hair behind my ears. He stared into my eyes for a minute or two before leaning in to kiss me. I leaned away.
"I was just puking my guts up?"
"You also eat human flesh Taiga."
I shrugged agreeably and leaned back in and kissed Hide.
The kiss made me feel unhinged, like I wasn't tied down to who I was trying to be, but I was free to be me, and that is what made this kiss so special. I didn't have to pretend anymore and he didn't care. He wasn't caught up in the stigma of what I am, because he knew I wouldn't flip out and kill him. The kiss made me feel like a normal girl, with nothing to hide or be ashamed of and if I thought I'd get a kiss like this again, I would eat all the human food in the world.
Hide moved away with the biggest smile anyone could ever possibly have on their face. "I really, really like you."
"I really like you too. But now you know my secret, you can't tell anybody, not even kaneki."
"Who do you think I am? I wouldn't want the investigators to take the girl I'm falling for now would I?"
I began smiling. "So, you know I'm a ghoul and you aren't scared that I'll get peckish and sneak a nibble?"
"Not even a little."
I smiled. "That deserves another kiss" I said leaning in to kiss Hide again.
What a perfect way to end such a shit day. Maybe ghouls can love humans without wanting to eat them? I mean I do love hide and eating him doesn't come to mind, well... Let's just say I don't think of him as food.