Chapter 32

Taiga's POV

I walked downstairs with Hide to see Kaneki, Hinami and Touka all ready to go.
"Ready?" Touka asked. I looked at Hide and we both nodded. We walked out but Hinami ran off with Hide playing a game on the way to the park. Kaneki walked over and began cracking his knuckles.
"Stop it that's horrible" I said looking down at his hands. He shook it off and continued walking along side me.
"I was a bit of a jerk. Well, I have been a bit of a jerk. You deserve better. So I'm willing to change for you..."
"You can't change. This behaviour has been burned into your brain. There's no way around it."
"It's called being strong."
"No!" I said standing in front of him, causing him to come to a sudden halt in the middle of the street. "the old Kaneki was nice and funny and kind. He had emotion and he had drive. His eyes use to light up around me and he would get happy over a damn book. This Kaneki is twisted expressionless. Practically emotionless and you have no time for books. Look, I know what Jason did to you is unimaginable and I don't want to try to understand it because it's too complicated and too painful but seriously, it changed you and I'm not surprised, a trauma like that would change anyone, all I'm saying is that the new Kaneki isn't my type."
"And all I'm saying is that I'm like a piece of paper. Yeah, if you scrunch it up it will always be creased but it can also look very flat at the same time. I will honestly never be the same but I want to try and be the same because Taiga, I love you...." He said looking like......him.......the old Kaneki I fell in love with. I slowly looked deeper into his eyes but all I could see was pain and despair. I stood back and smiled slightly.
"Nobody can change from something that bad." I said walking off to catch up with Touka.
"What's wrong with you?" She said smiling at Hinami and Hide running around.
"Nothing...for once" I said smiling. I could hear footsteps, slowly getting closer and closer to me when I turned around and Kaneki ran straight past me to play games with Hide and Hinami. Hide patted him on the back and Hinami sent him a warm smile before running off again. Kaneki was smiling? And it was a genuine smiled, not forced, a genuinely happy smile?
"Wow. He's....happy" Touka said confused. "Not seen him like that for a while now..."
"He said he was going to change I really didn't think it would be that fast?"
"He would change if it meant you'd be happy again. You've been through a lot and he didn't really realise until the other day, but I think he understands how much you've been through an despite his trauma, you've suffered countless casualties."
"The other day."
"Hinami had a quick word with him. He was mad about your new friend. Who is actually really cute"
"Who? Akio?"
"Yeah. If he wasn't obsessed with you I'd ask him out."
"He's not obsessed with me Touka" I scoffed.
"Are you dumb? All the boys are. I don't blame them, your stunning."
"Look. Please listen. Me and Akio will never work out. Never. So go and ask him out. You might be surprised."
She nodded. "So...Kaneki or Hide"
"What?"
"Who do you prefer?"
"That's not fair! You can't put me on the spot like that"
"Yes I can an I just did. So.... Who do you prefer."
"I like both of them. I preferred Hide but now Kaneki is different too."
She sighed. "Wow having the option to pick which boy you like more....never had that. I've not even got an option to pick one boy let alone two"
"I don't know..."
Kaneki picked Hinami up and began spinning around with her in his arms. They looked happy? I needed some time to think. I didn't think it was fair for me to keep dragging this scenario out. I need to decide who I prefer and I need to decide fast.
"Hey. Touka cover for me me. I just need to go do something." I said turning around. "I'll meet you all at the park" I said smiling. I wave to her and ran off. I saw a small jitty so I walked down it and sat by a bin. Nobody would come down here so I guess I had a chance to be alone for a while. I sat with my head at my knees and sighed.
"Taiga?" He asked. I looked up and Jason was stood in front of me.
"Jason...not seen you in a while." I smiled slightly but his face alarmed me.
"There are a group of very dangerous ghouls heading your way. They're led by Akio. They all want you. The way you act the way you look...some would say they're obsessed. they are strong and good at what they do. I overheard Touka telling you she had a thing for Akio...he will use that as a pointer to get close you you! You need to stop him."
I stood up. "Can't you just kill him or something I'm done with the stress an the drama..."
"There's something else...whilst you lived away and your sister was here with her husband and Hinami...Akio dated Rize."
"What?! Wow. It really is a small world."
"He knows that she is inside if Kaneki and he wants Kaneki too."
"Why?"
"He wants him to die. Blames him for his girlfriend dying..."
I raked my fingers through my long fire colored hair and sighed. "So what do I do?"
"Keep away. I suggest you move away from here"
"Well I would. But the person that helps me with all of that is dead because you needed leverage." I said sarcastically. Jason sighed at the tone of sarcasm in my voice.
"I will figure something out. In the meantime stay hidden." He whooshed off and left me standing here?