•Back To My Roots•

Jahseh's POV

Jamiah's Alma Mater asked her to do a motivational speech for the entire school. Besides Oprah she's one of the most successful to attend the university.

We all here to support her, front row.

"I'm gonna close this out by saying it doesn't matter where you come from, how you grew up, how you dress... None of that matters. Focus on the goal at hand no matter if it's 1 or 5. Sit down an analyze what you could do to get yourself there. Remove people out of your life who don't truly support you or have your best interest at heart. Most importantly it doesn't matter how many times you get knocked down, pushed, stepped over, on or overlooked, keep pushing. Manifest those dreams and every single thing your heart desires. Speak it, claim it, and it's yours."

Everybody stood up snd clapped for her. I jumped up and down acting a fool on supporting my baby girl.

She was having a small press conference right after this.

She walked off stage and our security along with theirs led us to where it was gonna take place.

"You did soooo good baby girl. You're so well rounded."

"Thank yoh Jah, I was kinda nervous until I seen y'all front row. Thanks everybody for coming."

At the press conference...

Only a select few people were actually allowed here. It was maybe 40 people in the room, mostly news reporters but some students as well.

The dean was on the mic..

"Okay let's start this off. Mrs. Onfroy has taken time out of her very busy schedule to visit us and we asked her right before she graced the stage earlier if she would do this."

"Mrs. Reeves I don't mind at all. This school is part of the reason why I am who I am today. I am kinda hungry tho, might stop by the Café or Chick Fil A. Which one of y'all gone let me use y'all DB?" She laughed and everyone else joined.

What the hell is DB?

"Oh, my people are looking kinda confused. DB is declining balance, we use to get $200 a semester to spend at Chick File A, Pizza Hut, Starbucks or the campus mini conveience store."

"We'll feed y'all on the house. Don't worry." The dean assured us.

"Omg! It's fried fish Friday! Okay okay, sorry let's get it! First question."

I was sitting beside her and watching her in her element.

"What was your first step you took to be successful in the makeup industry?"

"Consistency. I had days where I was motivated and did a look everyday and other days I would be tired and procrastinate. I worked a lot, took online classes and I was a mother. I had to tell myself that I can only get better if I keep practicing and being creative."

"How did you get in the weed business?" She chuckled and the question made us a laugh.

"Simple...I love weed." Alot of people couldn't do none but agree.

"In all seriousness, my Ag degree is in plant and soil science. As many of you may know Horticulture is the path to go down if you wanna grow trees. I just knew my stuff and I would shop at this dispensary often. I spoke with the owner about ways to get a higher yield and she wanted me on her team. There's not alot of black female master growers in the industry so I had to make a name for myself. I was smart and knew soil so luckily they needed me."

"Do you think it's harder for black women to get noticed in the makeup world?"

"Definitely. It'd hard for black people as a whole to get the respect and attention we deserve sometimes. That's why I feel we should help each other and give each other chances to prove ourselves."