fourty-two.

┏━━━━━━━━━━┓

CHAPTER FOURTY-TWO

oxlii. would he hate me?

┗━━━━━━━━━━┛

"HAS HARTLEY MADE contact yet?" Dr. Wells asked as he wheeled into the cortex, Barry and Chloe not to far behind.

"What makes you so sure he will?" Caitlin questioned.

"Because he's Hartley, and he'll want to have the last word." Dr. Wells stated like it was obvious.

"Cisco, you should be resting." Barry called out to the man who was up and walking around like he didn't have a concussion.

"The answer to why Hartley fooled us into catching him is in here, and I'm going to find it." Cisco told Barry, Chloe letting out a small smirk, "Hell yeah, I'm helping too." Chloe followed him into the small room.

"You have nothing to prove." Dr. Wells spoke as he wheeled into the room.

"Not true." Cisco retorted.

Chloe stayed silent, she knew that, she just wanted to catch Hartley, maybe distract herself from her on the run boyfriend she hasn't seen in a long ass time.

Dr. Wells chuckled. "Do you know why I hired you Cisco?" Dr. Wells asked.

"You said you saw something in me- I know." Cisco nodded.

"What I saw was humanity. You and Hartley, Cisco, you're both brilliant. You both have mental-" Dr. Wells snapped his fingers, "-Sparks. But his brilliance subtracted from the experience of working here, whereas your brilliance, your heart, your warmth, your humor, it just adds to it." Dr. Wells paused as Cisco took in his words. "There's no chosen one, Cisco. No second or third favorite. Never was. It's just us." Dr. Wells told him making Cisco smile slightly.

Suddenly there was a sound of what Chloe thought was speakers popping.

"What's that?" Caitlin asked panicked.

"Nice gambit, Harrison. But this isn't over." Hartley's voice came through the speakers.

"Hartley, what do you want? What do you want, Hartley? I already gave my mea culpa today!" Dr. Wells voice rose as Cisco and Chloe followed him into the main part of the cortex.