Bad Liar

We're sitting in Piper's mini and we're driving off. I still don't know where we're going, but Piper's not talking. We'll stop in front of a townhouse.  "Can you finally tell me what we're doing?" I get out after Piper. "You're about to see," she winks at me. I follow her. She rings the doorbell. To my surprise, Luc opens the door. "Hey, the others are already in the garage" he hugs us. "The others?" Confused, I follow them. What's going on?

We walk through a door and suddenly we're in the garage. I look at the assembled instruments in surprise. A drum set, two guitars, a keyboard and a bass are standing there. There are also three other people in the room, where I know only one. I think his name is Marc, in any case he plays football. "Guys, we are complete" Luc claps his hands. "What are you doing?" I murmur to Piper. "I thought you said you could sing, and we're looking for a singer, so I thought I'd bring you along." "You guys are a band?" Piper nods. "Official band of Los Angeles College," she smiles at me.

"This is Nike. She's new and she sings" Luc introduces me to the others. "And Nike, this is Marc, he plays drums..." Marc, I was right. "Lisa, she plays bass..." he points to the black-haired girl. "...and this is Joana. She plays keyboard", I raise my hand to welcome them. "But let us begin. Nike, how about showing us what you've got first?" I nod. "Well, I can accompany you on guitar if you want." Piper smiles encouragingly at me. "That would be great" I smile at her. "Can you read music?" Luc hands me a couple of sheets. I nod. "Well, how about "Bad Liar" by The Imagine Dragons?" I nod again.

I take one last breath, put the sheet music on the music stand in front of me and give Piper the signal to start. I close my eyes and let the music play for a moment before opening them again to sing the lyrics.

When I am finished, everyone stares at me speechlessly before Joana starts clapping and everyone joins in. I smile and notice how relieved I am. "Nike, that was awesome" Luc hugs me happily and Piper also falls around my neck. "Thanks" I smile at them both. "I'd say, welcome to the band" everyone starts clapping again. The rest of the day we spend playing different songs and writing down new ideas. "We can play at the opening next week" Lisa suggests. "I'll talk to the management right away on Monday" Piper makes a note.

At six, Marc, Lisa and Joana say goodbye and go home.  Piper and I have decided to stay a little longer. Together with Luc, we will prepare dinner and sit at the table. "I was really surprised by your voice, Nike" Luc smiles at me with satisfaction. "She not only sings, she also writes songs" Piper winks at me. "Is that true?" I nod. "Would you like us to play one of your songs with the band?" "It's just lyrics, nothing composed," I shrug my shoulders.

"I can help you compose." Luc looks at me with a smile. "Sure, it'll be fun" "Wanna come over tomorrow? Then we can give it a try" I nod. "Well, come around two o'clock and bring your lyrics" I agree.

As I'm driving home with Piper, I see that someone has tried to call me. Unknown number... plus, someone left me a voice mail. Probably Ondreaz, I think. While Piper is in the shower, I listen to the message. "Hey Nike, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but yesterday was a little too stressful. I wanted to tell you that I'll be back at noon tomorrow and I wanted to ask if you're free, so we can hang out. Just get in touch when you hear this" for a moment I think about calling him back, but only save his number. 

Thx for 400 reads 🙏
Love youuu ❤️