1. Snakes

"We're literally on a train to a bloody magic school, and you're making me help you look for a boy's frog?!" I groaned as my sister dragged me through the walkway of Hogwarts Express, ignoring my protests as a trolly filled with sweets passed us.
"Has anyone seen a toad? A boy named Neville lost one." Hermione explained to a pair of strange boys, and I, bored out of my mind and unwilling to meet another group of clueless children, quickly shuffled to the side, reaching for the door of another compartment as I nervously watched my twin.
We were twins, but we looked barely similar, the only thing tying us together being our curls, but even mine were tamer than her's.
I made it into the compartment and sighed in relief, looking up to a pair of older boys and a girl my age, who were all looking at me with wide eyes.
"Is that-?" The boy in red robes, with smooth tanned skin and clumpy dark curly hair choked out.
"No, you moron..." the younger girl, who shared his skin tone, but sported perfectly straight hair, said. "Theodora goes to Beauxbatons, get over her!"
"I don't care, Mom couldn't stop me from loving her and neither can-!"
"Guys, terrified first year girl standing right in front of you..." the boy with yellow robes and amazingly bright pink hair said in a soft voice, contrasting the other two in the compartment.
The girl's eyes widened in embarrassment and she turned to me. "I'm sorry, my brother is a bumbling idiot and thought you looked like his girlfriend."
"My future wife!" Her brother declared.
The other boy turned to the brother. "You're 13, Jay."
Jay leaned back, defeated as he stuffed his arms over his chest.
"I'm Christina Webber, that's Jay." Christina pointed at her brother.
"I'm Jeremy Gray. Sorry about those two..." the siblings were busy glaring at each other and I laughed.
"Wanna sit?" Jeremy offered and I looked back towards the door, my sister nowhere in sight.
"Sure. I'm Elizabeth Granger."
---
"She's gonna be a Slytherin with that attitude of her's!" Jay declared bitterly towards his sister as the other two laughed, mouths filled with candy.
"Okay, okay, I genuinely don't understand the house system here. My sister practically bored me to death with all the information that I forgot it all."
Jay beamed. "Well, there's the Hufflepuff house, which is Jeremy's house." He pointed to his bright haired friend.
"They're the sweethearts of the school." Chris whispered next to me.
"Then there's Ravenclaw. They have what the puffs lack." Jay took a pause, wrapping his arm around Jeremy's shoulder. "They actually have brains."
He got elbowed in the ribs by an angry bright-pink haired boy.
"There's Gryffindor too, and they're all egotistical airheads that only care about winning." Jeremy explained with a smile as Jay tried to recover from his attack to the ribs.
"Gryffindor is the best house!" Jay wheezed out.
"What about Slytherin?" I asked, and they all got a bit tense. Not much, but noticeable.
"From what I've heard they're a bit... problematic." Christina tried to put nicely.
"They're bloody cheats on the field..." Jay bitterly said.
"Mean little snakes." Jeremy, the sweet quiet one, somehow managed to insult.
I nodded, understanding them by the looks that a compartment full of Slytherins gave my sister when we were looking for the toad.
"But you're muggleborn, so there's no chance you'll be a snake." Jay reassured. "That bloody demon next to you, you gotta look out for..." he motioned to his sister.
Jay and Christina were both pure bloods, coming from the opposite lifestyle as Jeremy, who was also a pure blood, but his father had crazy blood money, and by proxy, Jeremy had, in Jay's words, "enough money to buy Hogwarts 3 fuckin' times over."
Usually, I'm not a curious person, but for once I had so many questions now that the information wasn't being shoved down my throat, but the train stopped before any of us knew.
"I'll be waiting for you at the Gryffindor table!" Jay waved off as I rejoined my sister.
-
McGonagall had just left the room after explaining the hat sorting ceremony that was about to be held, and I turned to Hermione. "You're gonna be a Ravenclaw, no doubt!" I said, and she looked me up and down.
"You're far too soft to me anything but a Hufflepuff." She teased sarcastically.
"Quiet! Anger issues don't make you inherently bad! Just bold!" I laughed back.
"Alright miss Gryffindor." She said as the strong scent of hair gel made my nose scrunch up.
There was a pale little blond talking to a black haired boy with glasses, and he didn't seem amused.
"Isn't that dark haired one the one you were with on the train?" I asked my sister as she drew us closer, and I picked up on the conversation.
"Red hair and hand-me-down robes? You must be a Weasley." He directed at the boy next to his first person of interest.
It was the other boy that Hermione was with, and I grabbed her hand tightly, knowing she was going to pull something stupid.
The more I thought about it, maybe she was a...
-
"Gryffindor!" My sister's name was called, and I heard Jay screaming, like all of the times that there was a new one announced.
I gulped, gravitating towards Christina, who was side eyeing a tall girl with blinding strawberry blonde hair.
"Donna Bay." Said strawberry blonde girl strutted up to the chair with confidence and soon joined the Slytherin table.
"Donna Bay has hated me since diapers." Christina whispered as her name was called.
I gave her a smile as she sat, nervous beyond all belief.
"Ravenclaw!"
Jay lost his shit.
"Elizabeth Granger."
My stomach did rolls as I stepped closer, looking over the houses.
There was Christina at the Ravenclaw table, Jay and my sister at Gryffindor, and Jeremy at Hufflepuff.
I then looked to Slytherin, watching the snobby blond boy laugh with the other snob kids.
Anywhere then with that hairgel kid...
I silently pleaded as the hat was placed on my head, it's voice instantly next to mine in my head.
"Oh! Not curious enough to be a Ravenclaw.." I frowned, insulted. "You've got a big heart for the ones you love.." hufflepuff then? "Ah, but anyone that you don't love, you don't care at all." Caught me.. "you're brave like your sister, but you two are not the same. Your bravery isn't for glory, it's your anger fueling your self desires."
"Who the hell do you think you-"
"Slytherin!"
---
The food was spread out down the incredibly large table and I didn't take a bite.
"Are you starving yourself?" A boy asked with attitude.
"Leave her alone, Blaise. She probably looked at your face too long and lost her appetite!" Said another boy, he was the one who made Jay cry when he was sorted into Slytherin, due to the fact that his name was Theodore, which reminded him of Theodora.
"You're both ridiculous..." a girl rolled her eyes. "So, who are you?" She asked, leaning closer.
I stiffened.
"Sorry, I'm Pansy Parkinson." She introduced, almost expecting something. I didn't like it.
"I'm Blaise Zabini." Again, he expected something.
"I'm Elizabeth Granger." I said nervously, waving slightly
"There's no way they let a mudblood into Slytherin!"
The girl that Christina didn't like before, Donna Bay, scoffed. "Honestly, Theodore. There were at least three other muggleborns sorted tonight! You're an immature twat.."
"Yeah, and look at them." Another voice spoke up, and I turned to the boy with the slicked back hair, who was looking at the end of the table opposite where we were. They sat quietly near the door, nibbling at their food.
"Why don't you go join your kind, muggle?" He laughed in my face and I rolled my eyes.
Donna burst out laughing as Blaise covered his mouth.
"She just rolled her eyes at Draco Malfoy!" Theodore broke out laughing as the boy gripped his fork angrily.
"He's just a rude boy. Isn't special where I'm from."
The air was pretty much cleared, except for the cloud of anger coming from Draco and his two frog-like boys that acted like bodyguards.
I even found myself enjoying some of the food as I talked.