67. Outside the Box and On the Pages

"You're a fucking Deatheater, Jeremy! Don't you dare lecture me on saving my own goddamn sister!" Jay spat, 5 days on the mission as they made it to the hotel in California, no sign of Chris.
"Listen, Jay. In stressed out too but please, lay off!" He yelled back.
"I can't believe you.." Jay rolled up his sleeves and started unpacking. "I always knew you and your creepy father had some twisted motives."
"I swear to god, Jay!" Charlie slammed down his gloves with a slap. "We're all doing what we need to do to survive the upcoming war, and get your sister back before everything starts."
"You're on the wrong side of the war, old man.." Jay shook his head.
"I'm on the side that's the most likely to keep my boy alive! You should know that the ministry is broken and weak! Broken enough to kill a great man like your father, and too weak to protect the people under them, let alone themselves..."
Jay was silent.
---
"How are you doing..?" Harry asked.
I turned from helping a student with a spell.
"Fine?" I shrugged, wondering why he was asking.
"Your friend's missing, I was just-"
"Oh, don't worry!" I looked around before whispering. "She's at a safe house."
Our conversation continued and I smiled in victory.
Almost everyone knew about the "safe house" now, and if my suspicions were right...
---
"You told someone?!" Maud yelled in the bathroom. "Do you know how much trouble-!" She stopped and groaned.
Jackpot.
---
"It was like she said she was going to get in trouble.."
"Well, yeah, wasn't she supposedly snooping around?" Theodore asked.
"Obviously she didn't get caught though.." Draco butted in.
"Exactly!"
---
"Hey, I'm really sorry Maud.. Christina's younger friend went snooping and found the diary I keep.." her eyebrows perked at the word 'diary.'
---
"She might threaten you.. okay?" I warned Tayte as I handed him the book I forged.
I swear I hadn't seen his face dry since the day I got back.
He sniffled. "I'd let her stab me to get Tina back."
"Me too, kid."
---
"What'd you put in the diary?" Blaise asked.
"You mean me??" Draco said with attitude.
"Yeah, yeah.." I rolled my eyes. "You volunteered to write it.."
"Cause you write like a dyslexic 5 year old with one finger!"
"What was in the diary?!" Blaise groaned.
"Just how (Y/n)'s suspicious of Maud for working with the Stone Guard and that if Christina didn't get back in the next two days then she'd go to the minister with her proof.." Draco said with sass, and the room lit up with deviance.
---
"It wasn't there when I woke up." Tayte whispered as he passed me in the halls.
Perfect..
---
"And that's why I never bring forks into my pool anymore-" Blaise told as we ate.
"She's back!" Donna yelled as she slammed the doors open.
My legs moved by themselves as I sped up the stairs, running through hall after hall until I reached her.
I was over her bed in a blink of an eye, and she was fully awake and...
Fine.
"Christina Webber, I'm so fucking sorry!" I cried as I grabbed her by the shoulders.
She genuinely laughed. "You didn't do anything wrong! And I'm okay!" She said with a smile.
"What.. how- I mean-" I panicked as the rest of the group burst in.
"They let me go earlier today, and I found the boys and came home."
"I fucking knew it.." Draco shook his head. "I'll be writing to my father about getting that girl arrested."
"What..?" Christina shook her head.
"Maud, the new girl, she's working with the guys who took you.."
She didn't seem particularly saddened. "Oh.." she took it in, but only for a moment before smiling. "I'll be staying with
My mother for a while!"
Something was wrong..
---
"Christina's studying from home, right?" Harry asked.
"Yeah.. she's acting completely strange though. They'll say more at supper, I think."
I was again, for the most part alone.
Jay was back home with Theodora, who was due for a boy in 3 months, and I couldn't help but smile over the thought of how curly that baby's hair is gonna be.
Christina was recovering from her cult kidnapping with her mother, and Jeremy was working at the school weekdays, and taking on an apprentice for the weekends.
Draco, actually.
It made me happy, because it had been his dream as a child, but it also meant that since he was on the inquisitorial squad, and the apprenticeship, there's no way he'd be able to be on the Quidditch team this year.
It made me sad, but at least I had Blaise batting at the people below, and Marcus for the time being.
---
"Christina Webber is safe now, and the threat she was under has been properly disposed of. With the new rules I've implemented, there's no way this is to happen again." Umbridge announced.
"What does she mean disposed of?? Maud's locked up under an bloody fucking oath of silence now, and they think that's neutralized?! She was let go for god knows why!" I ranted.
"Do you have anything to say, Ms. Gray-Dean?" She turned to me and I began to stand up, only for a hand to push my leg back down forcefully.
I took a breath. "No ma'am, just glad that my friend is now safe.." my hand was squeezed. "Thanks to you.." I said with a smile and she nodded satisfactorily.
I turned to Draco with the anger I meant to direct at her. He only smiled and watched her carefully as he left a kiss on my forehead.
A few people watching smiled, most rolled their eyes, but he was glaring at a certain person who looked at us neutrally, and I had to wonder if something happened between them when I was gone.
Sure they hated each other, but Draco made it seem like I was a factor in his despise for Harry.