36. For A Day

"I promised, alright?" The boy said from outside.
"Harry, you know how much-" Hermione tried to whisper before I opened the door.
"Hello." I greeted, taking a breath in. "I understand that there's a lot of problems between us, but I'm willing to put it aside to save Bucky from that blond twat's stupid superiority complex." I spat out.
"Since when were you and your boyfriend on bad terms?" Ron decided to tease.
"Please, I'd never date that scumbag.. and we were on bad terms when he started playing with life." I responded seriously.
"Well, if you're willing to put everything aside for today.." Hermione began. "Than I am too."
I gave her a smile and a nod as we made our way to the hut.
"I can't believe they're really going to kill Buckbeak..." Hermione mumbled to me as we passed the executioner.
"It's horrible." I spat angrily.
"Well, it just got worse." Harry added.
"Did you see the blubbering oaf?! Oh, this is going to be rich. Did I tell you, Father said I can keep the head!" Draco joked to Gregory and Vincent.
"You horrible, disgusting, evil little cockroach!" I yelled, as I began to storm at him.
A hand grabbed my wrist as I reached for my wand. I challenged Hermione with my gaze as she held my wrist.
"He's not worth a hex." She said as she pulled me back, heading towards him instead.
She decked him so hard I'm sure he was seeing constellations.
I let out a sharp laugh as he stumbled to his feet and ran off.
"That felt good to do." Hermione smiled towards me as she shook her hand.
"That felt good to watch." I gave the same expression, and we continued.
---
When we entered, Hagrid was too upset to notice my presence as strange, as he stared out the window to the animal.
"I say we just set him free." Harry said.
"That'd just be getting Dumbledore in trouble. Don't need that, he said he's gonna come down and be with me when they..." Hagrid went quiet. "He's a great man, Dumbledore."
Won't stop this though... I thought as I watched the animal resting in the pumpkin patch.
---
We found ourselves sneaking out the back and hiding behind some pumpkins. With all adults inside, I reached over and laid my hand on Bucky's beak, sighing as he nudged into my palm.
"You beautiful soul..." I whispered before I was pulled back down by Harry, and we backed farther into the trees.
The bells of the clock began to toll, and I felt my legs becoming weaker.
The swift slice was heard, and I fell to my knees, my body wracking with sobs.
"He bit me!" Ron said as his rat scurried away.
Hermione held her hand out to me as Harry chased his rat.
"Sisters for today?" She asked as she wiped away her own tear.
I took her hand. "I'm getting sick of this (Y/n) business, anyways.." I mumbled with a smile.
We followed Ron who was mindlessly chasing his familiar as the sun fell.
He lunged and cupped then animal, and Hermione halted.
"Harry, this tree.." she said, and he seemed to realize.
"Ron! Run!" He yelled, and the boy looked behind Harry.
"Harry, run!" He called instead, and the canine from the woods leapt over him.
It grabbed Ron by the foot, dragging him to the roots of the tree.
I fell back in fear, cursing myself under my breath.
I'm not going to be the coward this time.
I ran without thinking, pulling on the arms of Ron, and Harry joined me, taking his left side.
Ron gave Harry a look, and his eyes widened.
I felt his grip release, and I gasped as he was pulled into the earth.
"No!" Harry called out.
"Guys!" Hermione yelled as a branch from the tree came smashing, sending us flying back.
Hermione pulled us up and I hesitated to follow them straight back into the hole.
Instead, as they were getting beat up by the tree, I thought to make each lone branch float with a simpler spell we learned first year, until there was one left, that the two were hanging onto.
"Let go!" I yelled out, and they flew straight into the hole.
I sighed and lowered my wand, only to be swept away by the longest branch.
I braced myself, ready to keep fighting, but the moment my back hit a ridged stone, I heard a loud crack and collapsed onto the wet ground.
"Where's Liz??" I heard Hermione echo.
"She'll be fine, she got us in here, she can get herself." Hardy reasoned, and I tried to move, before my body couldn't take it. My vision became spotty and I let everything slip away.
---
"No! You're not taking her too!" An authoritative voice, a baby's cry. "You're a liar! I did what you asked!" She continued, her voice frantic.
I smelled roses.
And then I woke up on a bed.
I adjusted my eyes as Hermione and Harry stood in the middle of the room, seeming to vanish as the door was slammed open, revealing...
Them?
Ron mumbled something about it as he sat up from his cot.
"What..?" I tried to form a sentence, and Hermione looked at me.
"Buckbeak is alive, and he's free." She nodded, and I smiled, letting myself fall back onto my pillow.