89. Hope is Lost

"This is a terrible idea.." Donna shook her head as she came out of the room with a cast.
"Shut your face and give me the keys!" I insisted and she handed it to me reluctantly.
"Your welcome.." she scoffed.
"Thanks for the keys!" I gave her a hug and skipped down the tower stairs.
"And for breaking my arm?!" She cried out.
"Yeah!" I laughed as my voice echoed up the stairs.
The plan was simple.
Get Christina alone with Jeremy in the office until they make up.
It's Chris and Jeremy we're talking about, there's no way for them not to bounce back to their soulmate status.
---
"Chris!" I called out with a smile.
"Oh, hey! I was wondering-"
I kicked her in the shin.
"(Y/n)!" She cried as she grabbed her leg and hobbled on one foot.
I pushed her over.
"I swear!" She yelled.
"I'll take you to the nurse!" I called and slung her arm over my shoulder.
---
And the door was locked!
Christina and Jeremy were screaming on the other side, but they were in there and together, and that's all that matters.
Now we wait..
---
"She's desperate." Christina blinked.
"Trust me, I know." Jeremy nodded back.
"Did she tell you that you actually broke up with me?"
He opened his mouth to argue, but closed it. "Okay, yeah I was being stupid. He admitted.
"Gee, really?" She laughed.
"Just maybe." He said with a fake squint.
"We'll never know!" Chris did mystical jazz hands at him.
They went silent.
"Jeremy?"
"Chris?"
"Do you think that breaking up was a mistake?"
---
"We made up." Jeremy informed with a happier tone and I excitedly stood and opened the door.
"Finally! Now I can finally live out my dream of being an auntie to Jeremy and Christina goblin babies-"
"We called off the understanding, and we're just friends." Chris said with a smile.
My jaw dropped.
"What?? But you're Jeristina! Your nephew is named after your relationship!" I flipped out to Chris.
"(Y/n), we're always Jeristina, even if we aren't together in that way."
I was getting confused and angry. "This is ridiculous! You're both just friends?? After everything you've been through, this one small amount of time apart is what killed your love?! Can you really give up that quick??"
Jeremy stepped forward. "It's not giving up, it's growing up."
"It's stupid!" I yelled back before storming off.
Can you believe them?! After all this time, they're done! Like it's nothing!
Some things are supposed to stay consistent! Some things shouldn't change!
There's too much change!
I slammed my fist into the wall as kids shuffled past, quietly judging me as my breaths were unsteady, and I watched Draco pass me down the hall without a glance my way, too busy with his own thoughts.
If Jeristina failed, then there's no hope left.
Especially for us.
---
I never thought the day would come where I'm sick of dresses.
I stood alone at the party, the one that Professor Slughorn threw before Christmas.
Alone in a gown, watching person after person get praised for their backgrounds or their actions.
The thing about the club that the professor had, is that he says that it's for the kids he sees the most potential in, but it feels like a freak show. Like he's just watching us and what we'll do with the cards we were dealt.
Seeing who tips too far to one side, just watching and taunting.
And with all of his previous students here, I couldn't help but feel that to be confirmed when Charlie Gray walked through the door.
Released due to lack of evidence.
I couldn't hide my smile as the room went silent, parting like the sea for the man as he strutted straight for Slughorn.
I watched the man coil back in fear as my eyes were practically stars.
That's an entrance.
And that's my fucking uncle.
"Hello professor.." he said with a sly smile. "It's been a while since we've been able to talk."
So, I stood adrift, watching that exchange with an evil sort of glee, distracting myself from the fact that I hadn't seen my date since we arrived.
And before that, I hadn't seen him in a day.
And then, I was crying.
Fuck.
"Your makeup is too good to be crying kid." Charlie said as he handed me a handkerchief. "He's not blowing you off, he's just working on something for us." He said quietly as he hugged me.
I sniffled. "When is he not?" I asked softly.
He sighed. "You'll both have Christmas at our family's cabin, and if he's called back before New Years, there's an inn 4 miles down that nobody knows about." He sent a wink before walking off to scare some more guests.
Maybe there was a bit of hope.