96. We are(nt) Family!

"I guess we can't brush anymore under the table?" I asked with a hoarse voice.
"It's been long enough, and not even the convenience of your refusal to ask questions can stop this." Charlie said.
"Okay, but it's pretty simple." I pointed out.
"Ah yes, your constant murder plot is simple." Draco sarcastically joked.
"I mean, Chris has a natural divination skill like Maud does, but the fact that Chris is the daughter of a really popular agent for the states that was well known, and happened to have the same skill, so after he died, those who knew of his legends wanted to keep his tales alive, and turned his memory into a cult and flipped the hell out when they saw he had a kid, and made it their purpose to find her." I stopped.
"How'd you-"
And I took a breath and continued. "And when they did and tried to use the enchantment shit they do on everyone, they failed because I have something in me that rejects that enchantment, so the best option to get to Chris is to kill me."
"You're.. extremely close...??" Charlie said, baffled.
"Oh, and I think that I could have an immunity because I grew up in a home where that enchantment was the same one on the people that kinda.. raised me, ya know? So.." I gave a smile.
"Could it really be as simple as being so close to the enchantment for so long?" Chris asked with doubt.
"I mean, how else could she not be affected without casting anything?"
Christina nodded.
Jeremy entered the medical wing with a set of tea, setting it down and handing everyone a cup.
"I finished with the reporters." He informed.
"Was it bad?" I asked.
"You'll have to make a statement for your fans, at least."
I nodded.
"Maybe something like why?" I heard from farther back.
"Hm?" Christina asked.
Draco went quiet.
"He's asking why, (Y/n)." Theodore clarified.
"Maud and Pim hexed me..?" I said, like we had already discussed.
His eyebrows went up in disbelief and he nodded, swirling his drink.
"What??" I asked, angry.
"Nothing." He said sternly.
I opened my mouth.
"Let's face it, they're both coming to the school?" Jay asked.
Charlie nodded. "The Stone Guard is part of a powerful alliance, and they had a request.."
"So it's just that? Put (Y/n) and Chris in danger because of some alliance?" Donna deadpanned.
"She won't be." Charlie said.
"And how can you know that when you can't even protect the little family we have left??" Jeremy yelled.
"Not now!" Charlie yelled back.
"It's me, and it's (Y/n)! You threw me into the middle of your shit! I'm not sitting here while you put her through hell because your scared!" He slammed his cup down.
"I'm not scared!! I'm just not going to die or let anyone I love die because of something as simple as hope!"
"You're weak!"
"STOP!" Chris yelled. "Anyone that doesn't attend this school is plain inconvenient right now! Get out!"
"Your mouth is too big for your own good. You're the kid here, understand??" Charlie directed his anger at her.
"You're the one acting like a child." I finally said. "It's either you help, or you leave."
Charlie was so stressed. So broken, and alone. But he never pulled, he only pushed.
He angrily ran his fingers through his hair, standing.
"They should've left you to rot with your mothers."
...
"Shut the fuck up inbred." I spat, tears forming in my eyes.
He left.
---
Being slowly hunted down by people in your own class is surprisingly less stressful than anticipated.
Especially when Maud's been on close watch from every direction, and I was riding the wave of the fame and mystery of what happened to me that night.
I didn't tell him, too.
No, I didn't tell Draco that the thing that he already thinks is controlling every part of him also did something to me.
Honestly, I knew we both were burying so many skeletons in the closet that when we decide to air them out for each other, we will be much wiser, older, and stronger.
But not for now.
Now, we were living off of each other. No questions, no feud. We were distracting ourselves with big acts of our love.
---
I walked through the forest trail, a pouch of nuts to feed to the critters, that I maybe ended up eating half myself.
A few twigs snapped farther into the wood, and I looked for the sign of a person.
Better not be.. I thought as I swallowed the mouthful of peanuts that I grossly tried to convince my brain that it had become peanut-butter in my mouth.
Another loud crack.
Hated it.
I glared into the forest, seeing nothing until..
"Awww! Hi there kitty!" I neared the fluffy animal.
"I- (Y/n)!" I heard desperately from behind me, and my wrist was grabbed.
"Draco??" I yelled in terror.
"Sorry, but that 'kitty' is an opossum, and you're blind." He said as I looked back.
It indeed was an opossum.
"Why are you out here??" I changed the subject as we walked along the path together.
"To stop stupid girls from getting diseases from wild animals."
"Haha.." I elbowed him.
"I'm serious! I came here to set up something for you, but Christina was picking flowers and almost took a beehive because she said it looked lonely."
I thought for a second. "Okay, yeah I'll print you a boy scout patch about it."
"Watch it, sassy.." he warned. "I'm not gonna show you the surprise if you're being rude."
I groaned jokingly.
"Fineee!" I said, clamping onto his arm as we walked.