95. Frozen Over

Cold.
It was really fucking cold.
I lifted my body from the ground, a deep crimson pool of blood soaked into the blindingly white snow, illuminating the night enough to see.
A few fresh drops hit the snow and soaked in like a towel.
I felt nauseous, and my fingers were pins and needles.
But I moved forward, for whoever knows why, I kept going.
I was lost, for certain, and I had nothing.
I didn't remember how I got here, but I knew that I needed to be by the lake.
I saw the frozen over mass of water, smooth and shiny, reflecting the full moon even brighter than the snow through the trees.
I took my first step out.
---
Donna was on her way back to the school, shivering and cursing under her breath.
She was being petty about Chris, while one of her best friends was missing, but she couldn't swallow her pride.
That was, until she saw a dark dot walking farther into the middle of the frozen lake.
"(Y/n)!" She cried, running back down the trail, skimming the edge of the woods as she cried for help.
"Is her! She's gonna fall! Help!"
Jay perked up and looked to the lake.
He saw a glow from the woods, and knew that this wasn't me.
"She's on the lake!" He yelled back to the group as he bolted to the person holding a wand.
They all rushed towards the edge, panicking.
The light was gone, and Jeremy was helping Jay chase the person responsible.
And I woke from the trance.
My knees buckled and I almost fell, looking around frantically.
I was in the middle of the lake, from all sides.
"Fuck! How are we gonna get her??" Christina yelled hoarsely.
"It'll be okay, (Y/n)! Stay still!" Theodore yelled out.
I was breathing heavily, "O-okay!"
Draco looked down at the ice.
"She's been bleeding from her head! If she falls.." he looked between the distance, and the drops along the path I took.
"I'll get help, I'm the fastest here." Donna decided, and left towards the castle.
The fear flowing through Draco wasn't enough to stop him as he lunged onto the ice, everyone gasping as he hurriedly made his way across.
"No! Get back!" I screamed, tears running down my face now.
He ignored me and carefully but quickly came closer.
"Please.." I cried out as he stood right in front of me. I placed my hands on his cheeks, shaking my head. "We..we're gonna die here." I rambled.
"No, (Y/n), no!" He held my wrists.
"That's why they did this! That's why I'm out here! I'm supposed to die here!" My voice was barely audible as I trembled.
Blood dropped down the side of my head, and I felt myself becoming dizzy.
He clamped down on my wrists.
"Come on.. one step and then another." He tugged me closer, and we were slowly getting closer to the forest.
"You're not dying here. We have so much more that we have to do, okay?? Hey, look at me, don't look down!" He fixed my chin to look at him.
I don't know if it was the blood loss, or the lighting, but I saw everything I'd ever love staring back at me with the subtlest blue in his eyes that are my comfort.
And then we heard the ice crack.
We were both incredibly still as he looked down.
"We're okay." He said in a whisper, letting go of me with one hand.
He looked behind him, to the trees.
Everyone stood meters away, nobody brave enough to breathe.
"If I move.." I shook my head as I looked down.
"You can do this!" He spoke, strained, unbelieving himself.
He assessed the situation.
"I love you.." he said so quietly that I could barely hear, but right now I knew those words were the worst to hear, and I didn't even have time to react when he spun me and pushed me away from him, and towards the trees.
"NO!" I yelled with all my heart, hearing the ice snap more, and grabbing his hand, pulling him into me.
The cracking followeed, and my foot submerged in water for a moment before we ran, hearing the whole lake boom loudly with the huge divide that formed as we took a final jump free from the ice.
We were automatically swarmed by our friends, helping us up and throwing jackets on me.
"She's bleeding bad!" Chris announced.
Jay and Jeremy came from the woods.
"Help!" She called to Jeremy, who, with heavy breaths, instantly helped.
"It was the girl.. the one who took you the first time.. and a kid with mismatched eyes.."
Christina gasped.
"Maud and Pim are here. And I think they found something out.."