54. A Piece of Paper Can't Kill Our Love

Chloe handed me the scroll, and I took a breath, hands shaking.
"Are you sure...?" She asked.
I waited. "No, no I'm not-" I turned to leave but Christina grabbed my wrist.
"You need to read this, (Y/n). Not all of it was written by your mothers..." She added, having read it over with the others willing. The only thing is, she was crying.
Jeremy and Draco hadn't come back into the room once they read it.
"What do you mean? It's their wills!" I grabbed the paper and pulled it open.
'To whom may this concern, I am Veronica Gray. I am soon to be married to Alestor Gray, my uncle. This is to my future child, and my beloved, Maple Dean.
My future child shall not have any ties to my brother nor his children, as to ensure that this incestuous chain comes to an end.
The child is to reside with Maple, if my death is to occur, and if not us, then to the Malfoys, Zabinis, or Notts.
The child is to be ensured protection by the forces of the dark lord, but not to be held to the responsibility of a true death eater.'
The second part was Maple's.
"Hello, dearest. If you two are reading this, then I have fallen. I understood the terms of the spell that conceived you, (Y/n), and that I may not be able to raise you, because of the engagement between your mother and her uncle, but we're working on a way to bring to light these ways of the Gray family as blackmail so that we can be wed.
For my lovely wife to be, you get all of my fortunes, and ensured protection from those in the ministry. (You also have my heart!)
And as for my child, you are given the same protection as your mother, as well as access to our family's funds once you reach 15. I also ensure that you are loved, and even if you can't see me, I know you're there.'
I didn't even know how to react, other then to move onto the last part.
'After the departure of Veronica Gray, and as the only descendants of the great wizard Merlin, the Gray family establishment rules out any prior statements about marriage, and orders that Jeremy Gray be wed to the future bastard child of Maple Dean and Veronica Gray on Jeremy Gray's 18th birthday.
Signed,
The Gray family establishment.'
I dropped the paper, whole body shaking.
My stomach lurched from me, and I gagged, running to the closest trash can and pouring my insides out.
This wasn't real...
This couldn't be real...
"Is it..?" I asked as I breathed heavily.
"My mother was the one who reviewed it, it's completely legal." Donna said sadly.
"This is a fucking joke... you can't override a Will that way!" Blaise panicked.
"Unfortunately, because they were written a few months apart and Veronica's will was unofficiated, yes, it is completely legal, or else (Y/n) would be homeless until she turns 15." Donna explained."The family officiated it, but added that... part."
"She's a descendant of Merlin, it's a norm for higher ranked blood lines, and you basically got the biggest one." Theodore said, and Chloe cursed at him for making it worse.
"I'm so sorry, (Y/n)." Christina cried.
"No, your engagement, Christina.." I said through my tears as I went to hug her. "I won't let this happen. I'm not marrying my cousin, breaking up my best friend with her, and I'm not giving up the one I love for some stupid contract."
"We won't stand by either." Donna agreed, nodding to Chloe, Theodore, and Blaise.
"Neither will I." Jeremy said as he rounded the corner, face pale.
"If you're willing to fight, then I'm here to fight beside you." Draco promised.
"Some paper isn't going to kill the love we have." Christina promised Jeremy.
Now, I couldn't hide behind a wall of protection from the pain, from the knowledge. I wasn't one to seek anything out that would hurt me. I need my bubble of safety, but now that bubble was ripped to pieces.
Because now, things aren't the way they were when we were 11.
The world is so much more fucked up than we thought, or Hogwarts makes it feel.
It was time to grow up and face my past, so that I could have my future.