58. Chaos Killed the Dionasaurs

"Hello, Jason." I greeted coldly.
"Jesus, (Y/n) that's practically a swear word." He said with a saddened smile.
I didn't budge.
"Look, I've made up with Christina and Jeremy through Theo, and now you and Draco are the only ones.." he said quietly.
"Do you think that's because we're little mean snakes? That we're born to be evil?" I asked, and he put his head down.
"Don't you dare play the 'learned from my actions' card. You already used that one last year, remember?"
"Listen, my mom was a Slytherin, and we don't get along, so is Donna, her mom, and practically everyone that's messed with my life. Forgive me if I think that a mean Slytherin is a common thing.."
"Maybe make an acceptation for one of your best friends? If I even am that."
"You are, but- look, this didn't even start out as a house thing, it was about Jermey being with Chris. Honestly, it's childish, so can we just.. get over it?" He asked.
For the first time, and just because I noticed that he intentionally wore his green baseball cap, I decided to swallow my pride.
"...sure." I gave a smile. "I'll see you at the last challenge?"
It was awkward, but he left and I felt a little less like garbage.
---
"Is it true that she's as mean as they say?" someone whispered.
"She's dating the boy that Pansy loves, and she broke up Chlaise..."
Yep, that's right. Chloe and Blaise split.
Blaise actually said it was because he didn't like her 'talkin shit' about one of his 'main homies.' Which I couldn't help but smile about.
But also, it couldn't be worse, cause now I was the girl manipulating Draco, breaking up couples, and apparently sleeping around the entire school?
Pansy spread the word like rapid fire.
Everyone loves an underdog, and right now, she was the main character of a teen romance.
Nice girl loves boy, boy "loves nice girl" but boys dating the mean girl.
Everyone votes for the nice girl.
And so, every color in the dining hall, including the girls and boys from overseas, all knew one thing.
Destroy the mean girl.
That's fine though, I could play Regina Gorge.
And my two girls were none other than Blaise and Theodore.
"I will have you know that my father can have you expelled in less than an hour if you all don't stop pestering me about that stupid pug faced-" Draco was saying as I walked into the room for super.
I have no idea what character he was representing, but he's been my favorite for a bit.
I quietly sat down next to him, seeing as my spot I'd sat in for years had been conveniently filled a few weeks back.
"Don't work yourself up over something so insignificant." I reassured him, glaring to all the girls and boys who now had their faces turned away, afraid.
He smiled and put his arm around me, while just outside that hall that seemed so dramatic, Jeremy was ensuring the first death that would be on his hands.
And Christina Webber now had some of that blood spilled on her hands.
She loved him, and no life was worth more than that, even if she tried to hide the thought.
---
"Dad, please.." Jeremy begged, tears streaming down his face.
Charlie Gray was a shell, a shell that once held a content man, now reduced to the demons crawling out his mouth and into his ear.
"Jeremy, you know that you have to. Our family killed your mother, and your aunts. The only thing keeping us alive is the dark lord."
"I know, but-"
"You obviously don't!" He slammed his hand down. "I don't care about the boy, I care about you! I care about my niece!"
"He's going to kill Harry, and maybe even-"
"It's better them than you." He interrupted. "You don't understand, but I'll make you. You will not marry your cousin, you will not be killed for the impurity of the blood in your veins, you will not die! Just do as I say!" He snapped, making Jeremy, almost a foot taller than the man he called his father, tremble in fear.
"Now get to that game and make sure nothing goes wrong.."
---
"Chris.." he cried as he caught up to the classes as we walked to the stands in front of the maze. He grabbed her shoulders, tears pouring. "When we come of age..." he swallowed as he kept choking up. "Please let us take Webber.." he shook his head. "That family, I can't.." he kept sobbing out. "I'm not putting that on you, I can't.." she grabbed his hand on her shoulder.
"Of course, Jer. After I'm 17, there's no way I'm letting you live as a Gray." She moved his hand to cup her face, leaning into his palm. "I love you, Jeremy Webber." She said with a soft giggle.
"That has to be the grossest thing I've seen.." Blaise fake gagged as we caught up with them.
"Practicing your wedding vows, I see." I commented, holding out my arm for Chris.
She rolled her eyes and hooked her arm with mine.
"Go along boys, and do save us seats." Theodora wrapped her arms around Chris and I, shooing them.
"Oh, and-!" Christina began.
"Black licorice and root beer, I know..." Jeremy rolled his eyes, and Blaise and Theodore scrunched their noses in disgust.
"Wait, also-!" Theodora called out to Jay.
"Milkshake and Reese's!" He called back.
Everyone kind of waited for a second as they looked at me.
"Yeah, no I'm always the one getting his snacks for him, so." I motioned for them to go ahead.
"So, how's being the most interesting thing since first year?" Christina asked.
"You mean being the most infamous 'mean girl' since Heather's came out?"
I pretended that they weren't confused.
"Let's just say, I'm waiting to be offered a drink by JD."
I still pretended that they got the joke and laughed by myself.
---
Like the last games, the crowd was just there for suspense, but what the weird part was had to be Jeremy and Christina.
They were calm.
So eerily calm, that a glance towards them made it feel like the air stopped.
"Slushee?" I heard, and turned to Draco.
I looked at him for a second as he half spaced out.
"It's blueberry.." he said once I realized I was staring.
A few voices behind us snickered and whispered crude words.
"Do they have dish soap?" I asked.
"What..?" He said with wide eyes.
I grabbed the drink. "Good enough, still blue."
"You're... welcome??"
"Yeah, thanks JD."
"Are you good?" He fully turned to me, and I looked up to him with a sour expression.
"I want the whispering to just stop." I sighed as I leaned into his chest.
His arms gently wrapped around me. "It's gonna be okay, people stop disliking you as loud once time passes."
"I just want my girls back.."
he looked over to my three old roommates, all rolling their eyes at couples in the crowd; teasing others and whispering.
It was always fun in the moment, being like the other girls.
The girls that weren't 'mean' but went on inner monologues about the slutty popular girl. We were wired by society to be quiet and petty, those being the nice girls.
No girls are nice, but at least I don't pretend to smile when all I want to do is-
"Chloe, I understand that Blaise hurt your feelings and Pansy, that you didn't get the boy you want, but crying wolf to everyone is only going to come back and bite you. How about stop whispering, and get your head up here for this."
"What do you mean?" Chloe asked, face riddled with anger.
"I mean you two and Donna have your heads so far up your own ass that you can actually see what's happening and still twist it around, Chloe fucking Maverick!"
"(Y/n) Dean, how dare-" my aunt began.
The two Hogwarts boys appeared, one on the ground as the other sobbed uncontrollably.
It was an instant that it hit me, but others leaped from their seats cheering.
The only others sitting were Christina and Jeremy.
When the crowd died down, Cedric's father came running down, screaming for his son.
Jeremy turned to his left and hurled up his slushee.
My whisperings were done, instead in their place, we heard the cries and moans for the fallen.
Harry screaming of Voldemort returning, and the crushing realization that a normal school year isn't an option.
How much more was I going to have to watch this boy and my ex sister fall before I had the courage to rise?