(YEAR TWO) 12. Lock the Door Next Time

"Thank you for having me, Charlie." I said as we weaved through the packed streets of Diagon Alley.
"Yes, yes, of course! Sisterly issues are the worst, I'll tell you. My big sister growing up was a devil!" He joked.
Jeremy chuckled, hair freshly coated in pink dye.
"You have a sister?" I asked as I tried to keep up.
"Well, I had my big sister before the war. It's where Jeremy get's his concerning height!" He joked with the 14 year old, who was at his eyebrows at this point.
We turned a corner, and suddenly the vibe changed.
"Right, you two stay here and talk to nobody. I'll be right back..." Charlie said in his usual playful tone, but his expression was grim.
"Where are we?" I whispered to Jeremy as we leaned against a wall.
"We're in Knockturn Alley." He dismissed, looking saddened.
"Oh, by the way, did you three find anything over the summer?" I asked him.
"Not yet. That doesn't mean we found 'nothing' though." He used quotations.
"The whole point of the phrase 'we found nothing' is so I don't know if you're lying or not!"
He shrugged and told me to quiet myself.
So they seriously couldn't find anything? Maybe I was just new to the magic and went a bit crazy last year. After all-
A shine caught my eye from the window of a shop.
My legs moved on their own, and I didn't even realize that I bumped into two people who were leaving as I entered.
"Elizabeth?" Jeremy called, but the name was unfamiliar to me as I eyed the gold chain in the dim store.
"This isn't some jewelry store, girl. Get out!" The clerk yelled angrily.
"This necklace." I picked up the gold heart shaped pendant. "Give it to me." I spoke with a strange confidence.
"Are you serious? What's your payment? I don't except stickers." He patronized.
"I need this, alright?" I said with crazy eyes.
"I'll give you five hundred for the locket." Charlie said sternly.
I didn't even see him enter.
"Right..." the clerk grabbed the money and went to the back.
I seemed to regain consciousness as I looked around.
"I... I don't know what happened there." I was going to explain, but I made eye contact with someone who was hiding in one of the creepy objects in this store.
"You're a young girl who saw jewelry." Charlie dismissed as he led me out, but I recognized those glasses and gawked towards him, shaking my head in amusement.
We had gotten all of our stuff, and sat down for some ice cream, when two familiar voices made Jeremy and I whip our heads.
"I'm making the team this year and you are going down!" Christina threatened.
"Oh, you wish!"
"Jay!" I yelled.
"Liz!" Christina yelled in the same tone.
"Jeremy!" Jay followed.
"Hi, Chris." Jeremy waved sweetly.
"Did you see him?!" Jay slammed his hands on our table.
"What?" I asked as I hesitantly brought my ice cream to my mouth.
Jeremy groaned.
"He was so cool and handsome!" Jay continued.
"Sorry, what?" I was left in the dark as the rest shook their heads at Jay.
"This guy that he's obsessed with, Lockhart, is signing books today." Christina explained. "Our mom's in line with Jay's book because he almost passed out when he made eye contact with him."
"Seems about right."
---
"What's that?" Christina asked as she sat next to me in the train.
"It's a necklace I saw while getting school supplies. Charlie bought it for me." I rubbed the heart shaped pendant.
"It's filthy, Liz! Here..." she pulled her wand out and casted a quick spell to clean the layer of soot.
The gold was now shiny, and you could see the intricate line work in the groves.
"Oh, it's lovely!" I squealed, hugging her.
"Have you seen Potter? I want to ask him what it was like to meet Lockhart up close!" Jay continued, as he had been for weeks now.
"No, Hermione was all alone waiting." Chris said.
"She was?" I asked, concerned. I took a breath and shrugged it off.
"Mhm."
"Never mind that! If he's not here then I'll never know what it's like!" Jay pouted as he sat. "Curse this bloody iron deficiency..."
We chuckled, and we talked the whole way like usual, getting swollen on sweets as we neared the school.
"This year you're with us on the wagons!" The boys exclaimed as they helped us up.
I pouted as Jay almost threw me, while Jeremy carefully hoisted Christina up and made sure she had her balance.
I noticed a few weird looks from older house members of mine, but summed it up to the muggle born Slytherin hanging with every other house.
Honestly, things were still a bit awkward with my house friends since last Christmas. The air wasn't hostile or anything, but the flow was a bit more forceful between us.
Though, I'm sure a summer apart cleared that up.
I'll never get over walking through the gates of Hogwarts, I decided.
I took my seat at my table, the seat I'd been in for an entire year.
Donna took my left, giving me a side hug.
"I was calling for you before we boarded!" She exclaimed. "I swear that you're deaf..." she teased as the rest joined.
"Blaise!" I held out my hand and he gave me a high five as he sat.
We were always being rowdy together, and he was determined to tryout for Quidditch this year to ruin even more people's lives with our stupidity.
"Is she finally accessorizing?!" Pansy yelled as she scooted across from me, pushing past Theodore and squishing Blaise into Draco.
I pulled my necklace out and she gasped.
"That crest is beautiful!" She called as she leaned in.
"Is that why you knocked me while shopping? For a little heart pendant?" Draco spat, and I looked at him for the first time since last summer.
He got taller.
Same stupid hair though.
"Was that you? I didn't know." I said with sass as I tucked my necklace into my robes.
The announcements were long and boring, but the sorting process was fun from this end.
Chloe and I were betting on which kids would end up where, and I won her dessert from it.
There was a small amount of Slytherins this year, but I shrugged it off.
We were eating peacefully when the doors slammed open, revealing my sisters two friends, covered in dirt.
"Oh, this'll be good..." Draco joked as the two were rushed out.
My sister went from picking at her food, to looking around with fear and confusion.
She looked at me and turned up her nose.
I did the same.
---
"Really?! You don't like anyone? Not even that fourth year Gryffindor boy you're always with?" Chloe asked as we all crowded on mine and Donna's beds.
"If you think I'd ever like Jason Webber, you're insane..." I deadpanned and they laughed.
"Okay, okay! But Chloe told me who she liked.." Donna exposed, making Pansy and I gasp.
Chloe hid in her dark pigtails, groaning.
"It's obvious!" I pushed my pillow onto her back.
"Blaise." She answered, but we still freaked out, squealing and squeezing pillows.
"Donna likes Isabella!" I called out.
"She's almost graduated!" Pansy deadpanned.
"Stop!!!" She blushed wildly.
"Pansy likes Malfoy!" It was Chloe's turn to blurt out.
...
"BAHAHAHA!" I clenched my chest as I laughed so hard, the other two following me.
"Stop! I don't know why either!" She covered her face.
"You like Hairgel!" I screeched again, running to the bathroom as I grabbed my wand.
I let out a spell, and ran the water, confusing the girls.
I exited with bright blonde hair, slicked back with water as the girls lost it.
"You're attracted to this!" I pointed at Pansy, who was on the floor laughing as I made funny faces and poses.
"It was lights out thirty minutes ago, you-" the door opened, and the worst possible person stood at the door.
We all made eye contact with Draco, and he blinked in shock.
"Do I want to know..?" He asked groggily.
I slowly shook my head and the door creaked closed.
Pansy stood up, walking past me and flopping onto her bed, sighing happily.
"This is why I believe in karma."