33. Merry

I rubbed my eyes as I sat up, reaching to Avocado, who I didn't even need to see to know that he was rested on my pillow, and I gave him a head scratch as I finally opened my eyes.
I yawned and smiled at the cat. "Happy Christmas, Cado."
"Finally!" A voice rang out from next to the fireplace and I hollered in fear.
"Good morning. Ready to open gifts?" Draco asked as he stood.
"Wha- How-" I tried to speak, breathing heavily, recovering from the jolt of shock.
"Just come downstairs!" He cheered, and I was overwhelmed with shock from all directions.
There was no hint of sarcasm in his tone...
I pulled my blankets off and put on my slippers, looking over my shoulder suspiciously as he waited by the door like a puppy dog.
"Why were you in my room while I was sleeping?" I said with distaste.
His smile faltered for a moment as we walked down the hall and down the stairs.
"It's Christmas, what other reason do I need?" He dismissed as we turned into the parlor, and to the big tree where the gifts had been stashed.
"Are your parents not joining us?" I asked.
"My father's far too busy, and Mother is out with friends for the day like usual."
I thought about why he was so excited.
He had always been alone on Christmas.
"Well, lets start then! You first!" I tried to match his energy.
He grabbed a gift and shook it aggressively, glass clanking inside.
"Careful, you oaf!" I laughed.
"It's glass." He observed and I shook my head as he opened the box.
"Expensive China from Chloe's power hungry family." He dismissed, reaching for the next gift, but stopping himself.
"Your turn." He corrected, putting his hands on his lap.
I smiled and grabbed the gift with similar wrapping.
"Aw! Chloe left me a card!"
"You got a card? Where's my card?" He pouted.
"Be Chloe's best friend and then you'll get a card." I opened it, skimming over the sweet message and putting it aside for later.
I opened the gift and gasped.
"What?? Is it a potion?" He asked, leaning to see.
"It's an enchanted quaffel! So it comes back to you when you hit it!" I picked it up, spinning it in my hand.
He had his next gift in his hand.
---
"What's that?" He asked as we were onto the smaller gifts.
"It says... Daniel Lopez. I don't recall-" the memory of the ice cream parlor with Chloe and Donna popped up.
"Oh my goodness! He was a sweet boy that Donna yelled at for talking to me." I rolled my eyes at the thought of her telling off everyone who's ever looked at me for too long.
"He sent you a gift?" Draco asked. "Why?" He said in disgust.
"I have no idea.." I said as I opened it, a notecard slipping out.
'Hi. I have no idea if you remember me, if not then you can just enjoy the charm bracelet!
Happy Christmas,
D.L.'
I smiled and grabbed the jewelry, a single ice cream cone jewel on the chains.
I smiled and tried putting it next to my gold bracelet, but I couldn't do it with one hand.
"Can you help?" I asked.
"I have no idea how to clip jewelry. Sorry." He aggressively opened his next gift.
"Oh fun. Cologne." He said, any emotion but 'fun' present on his face.
I chuckled as I reached for another, but it wasn't my name on it.
"Here." I handed it to him.
He eyed it suspiciously before shaking it.
"Not breakable, shake all you want." I informed, and he shook even harder.
"It's soft." He pointed out, opening the box. I was already cackling by the time he could throw the empty box at me.
"Jeremy taught me how to make it!" I said.
"You've made me relive a traumatic memory!" He accused.
I fell over laughing as he glared at the stuffed animal.
A hippogriff.
The same one that had absolutely wrecked him, and the same one I had been in charge of regularly feeding since.
"I can't believe you!" He tried to sound angry, but a laugh poked through as I rolled on the carpet.
I composed myself after another solid 30 seconds of laughing, and looked to my last gift.
It was the smallest box, and I looked to the boy across from me, who nodded for me to open his gift.
I stopped breathing.
"Oh bloody hell- it's not a proposal for crying out loud!" He said as I stared at the gold ring. "It was your mother's." He said and I looked up to him with wide eyes. "My mother has a lot of Veronica Gray-Dean's old jewelry, and I thought you'd want it.." he explained awkwardly, slightly mumbling.
"This is so thoughtful, I-" I blinked back tears.
"Christ.. don't do that.." he begged as I wiped my eyes. "It's not like I didn't swipe the bracelet last year too." He waved his hand as he averted his eyes, like somehow me crying was inappropriate for him to see. I looked at the bracelet that I wore daily, like my necklace, and burst out in a sob.
I thought back to Beth, and what she said about me facing my past.
I thought that distancing myself would help, but even then, through the cracks, I still cry over the two women that I'd never met.
My face was covered, and I tried my hardest to stop myself.
Two awkward pats met my back, and I laughed into my muffled sleeve, sniffling.
"Thank you.." I looked up to the completely uncomfortable, but concerned boy, and I gave him a puffy eyed smile.