25. Wheeeee

I was chatting with Donna as we walked outside with our class, following Hagrid to a shaded part of the woods.
I breathed in the nature and sighed in contentment.
Jeremy was a Hufflepuff, so I guess it's in my blood.
Actually, since Charlie was a Ravenclaw, I have all houses in my blood.
All but one, that is.
I side eyed Hermione, who was whispering with her ridiculous redhead boyfriend.
Donna noticed and locked arms with me, catching up with the rest as my least favorite blond made fun of Harry.
Usually, I would watch for the drama and stay quiet, but I instinctively rolled my eyes at Draco.
We all fell silent as a magnificent creature emerged from the woods, indescribable when comparing it to any animal.
"It's a hippogriff, a proud animal. Try not to offend him." Hagrid explained. "Now who wants to say hi?"
I hesitated to raise my hand up, but when I turned, the entire class was a step farther, except for...
Great, looks like I know who's gonna get chosen.
"Harry, come on over." Hagrid announced and I shrugged, turning. "And you too, miss Gray-Dean."
I flinched, and realized how much I really didn't want to do this anymore.
He had us stop and bow to the creature, and I did so with the grace that Theodora taught me.
I was so happy when it bowed back that I didn't even give Harry a glance before I came over and put my hand on the creature.
It was so soft that I almost cried.
Harry had more trouble than I did, but still received more praise.
He told us we would be able to ride it, and the nervous knot in my stomach became tighter.
It flew...
Harry was hoisted up, and I got ready to await my turn, but to my surprise, I ended up on the back of the hippogriff, and let out a short squeak.
"Now, don't be shy and hold on!" Hagrid encouraged, making it so much more awkward when I had to grab onto the boy in front of me.
I took a breath in, slowly letting it out as, without warning, our teacher sent the animal soaring.
I held in a sharp breath and closed my eyes, holding as tight as I could so I didn't fling off and die.
The animal flew steadier, and I loosened my grip slightly and opened my eyes, adrenaline sending laughter up my throat as I watched the shadow of the beast over the grass.
"This is..." Harry began as we swooped past the school.
"Amazing!" I yelled before cheering, arms out.
It was like a broom, but with more speed and comfortability.
He laughed along. "Exactly!"
We flew over the lake, seeing the giant squid that I only saw from the dungeon windows twice. Harry whistled at the sight, and I reached over the side to touch the water.
The return was much calmer, but still insane as we soared.
When we landed, the classmates present were cheering, save Draco. My ex-sister was specifically smiling at Harry, and we helped each other down.
Donna and Chloe both embraced me as I was praised by my more energetic friends.
"Give me a go at that thing! If Potter can do it, it must be easy. You're not dangerous at all, are you, you great ugly brute-" Draco began to strut towards the weary creature.
"Stop!" I yelled.
It was too late, the class of the creature had already slashed him down, and I jumped in the way to prevent another.
It stopped when it saw me, standing back on all of its legs and pacing slightly.
"Oh! I'm dead! It's killed me!" Draco rolled on the floor as he saw the blood on his robes.
I rolled my eyes and looked back to the group, all with an expression that I couldn't place, but I didn't like it.
"It's just a scratch." Hagrid dismissed, and I turned and looked at the wound.
"I know he's dramatic but-"
"He needs to be taken to the-" Hermionie and I began at the same time, and silently waited for the other to back down.
"I think he needs to be taken to a hospital." She won, and I backed down. "I can help you-"
"No, no!" Hagrid looked scrambled. "Uh, class dismissed!"
I frowned as we all grabbed our things.
"I'm sure Draco's father is going to make sure that Hagrid doesn't have this job." I frowned as Donna and I walked.
Even though I was in the same home as him for a summer, I had barely one conversation with Draco's father. He wasn't friendly, nor was he any Charlie Gray, but it didn't matter. I knew that he does what Draco wants.
And he will want Hagrid fired.
---
"You're seriously wearing the cast still?" I asked Draco at supper, and he made his angry face. I turned to Beth and she laughed with me.
He looked like a turtle.
"The cast is needed. I can't move my arm!" He complained.
"Right... three weeks for a scrape." Blaise helped me tease.
"Not a scrape! Dangerous animal attack!" He crossed his broken arm over his other, like a child.
"You couldn't handle Potter winning once?" Chloe asked.
"Never." Was his reply.
I understood his thoughts, his hatred.
Maybe we had a bit more in common than housing.