76. Bagel

"Christina Webber is now under protection from Jeremy's dad's 'business' or whatever!" I announced as I put the letter on the study table.
They all gave weird looks before smiling and wooing uncertainly.
"Meaning, she's coming back to school tomorrow!" I finished, and Donna gasped before squealing and hugging Chloe.
"Cool!" Theodore said with a genuine smile.
"Earth to Draco?" I asked, tilting my head as he stared down.
"You know nothing about your uncle's associations??" He asked, fear in his voice.
"Should I...?"
He ran his hand through his hair.
"Hey, what's the issue?" I asked.
"She really doesn't...?" Blaise started.
Draco looked to Theodore with a nervous glance.
"What's going on??" I asked.
"(Y/n), we have something-"
"No, you moron!" Draco yelled, interrupting Theodore, setting off a bomb of emotion between the two.
"She's living in that bloody manor, you twat! She's going to have to learn sometime!" He argued back.
"She won't understand! It's dangerous!"
"Guys, can we-" Blaise began.
"No! You don't know!" Theodore turned. "You three need to get out!" He yelled towards the group sitting still.
Chloe encouraged the rest to get up. "You have until 2 before the first years come in." She warned as she shut the door.
"(Y/n), please just leave.."
"No, what's going on?? I come from a family of incest obsessed psychopaths that most likely killed my mothers."
Theodore pointed at me satisfactorily.
"No, alright?!"
"Why not?!"
"Because you wouldn't get it! You grew up with them!"
"Who are they?! Theodore-"
"Not a word from you!" He warned Theodore.
"What's your problem??" I asked.
"I thought you knew!" He paced, shaking his head.
"It's just your father's job, right? How could that be so-"
"It's not, it's... it's what I'm going to be, it's Theo's too."
"You're not what your father is, alright.." I tried to grasp the situation and help.
"But I am. I'm gonna be-" he began to tear up.
"Hey, it's okay-"
"I want to be... I want to do what he does one day. What I'll become, when the world is back to how it was.."
He gulped and looked at me. "Does that make me a monster..?"
I had no idea what was happening, but my mind screamed for me to comfort him, so I did.
I ran up and hugged him, and I didn't let go.
"When we're old enough, we're going to be doing some bad things, him and I. We were sure that you were told all this in the case, but.." Theodore shook his head.
"Listen, I don't care what-"
"No, you need to care. We thought you went over it because the only thing keeping Jeremy out of it for so long was the Gray establishment, and now that you're not protected, you'll have to follow in your mother's footsteps like us." Theodore said solemnly.
"My mother was involved in.. whatever this is?" I asked.
"Veronica Gray-Dean was a deatheater."
---
"Welcome back!" I cried, wrapping my arms around Chris. Her skin wasn't it's usual golden brown, and instead was paler and duller, the bags under her eyes harsh.
"Jesus, what happened to you?" Blaise asked.
"Got every bad memory I've ever had thrown into me at once after psychological abuse for a month straight after getting kidnapped by a cult that worships my dead father who I never met." She said with a slow blink.
"Fair." Blaise gulped.
"She'll be out on the weekends for her court case and therapy, but other than that, she's home!" I babied her, snuggling her against my chest.
"Where's your fellow escapee?" Christina asked and the group collectively hissed awkwardly.
"They aren't seeing eye to eye right now.." Donna said solemnly.
"They had a fight, um.. over.."
"Oh, she's back. Is she just a distraction so you can do it again?!" Draco spat as he passed in the hall.
"Fuck you! It was a good bagel and I'd steal it again if I could!"
I flipped him off as he glided through the halls at an angry speed.
"Wait, Jeremy said he told her about-" Chris began.
"You think she's ever going to face a real problem?" Theodore asked. "With how angry she is, and how petty he is, the bagel is infinitely more likely to get them mad at each other than anything else."
You see, I didn't have time to argue, because I was busy writing 'bagel bitch boy' on the bag that Theodore was holding for him.