59. Law 842

That question, when will I rise?
I rose to the stand, up against 14 people.
14 members of my family, all with the same thick, sleek black hair.
Charlie Gray stood on their side, the side where I was to be wed to his son.
And now, there didn't seem to be anyone backing me up, besides threw 18 year olds, and three classmates.
I thought back to the preppings that Donna's mother and Narcissa had given me, but they hadn't said anything about them being late!
"As it seems, the attorney is late, so we are to-" the minister began, but the doors burst open.
"We're to fuckin' start, we are!" The thickest Scottish accent I'd ever heard leave a woman came out, a fiery redhead with a nose like Theodora's. She was just older than Sara Webber, who stood next to the crazy Scottish woman in the wheelchair, arms crossed. Narcissa and Ms. Zabini carried themselves with the same energy that all of the women in that room had.
"Apologizes, minister." Mrs. Bay's heels clacked against the marble floor as she set her case files down, Narcissa joining her as Sara pushed Theodora's mother to them as well, and took her spot with Ms. Zabini.
My heart was beating fast at the sheer badass-ery that they held, and I sensed the Gray family pull back.
"Let's begin then, shall we?" Ms. Zabini said with a sickening smile.
"Y-yes.." minister Fudge agreed, shaking his head. "The Gray family Establishment has the floor."
I couldn't be more shocked by who stood up.
Charlie, and who I assumed was his mother, she looked a lot like my mother, angrier and more grey hairs, pun slightly intended.
My grandmother.
"We're here to testify on the subject of my late daughter's will, and the future of her child." Her eyes met mine, and I understood.
The Gray family had a signature.
The eyes.
The truest, colorless eyes. Like when you looked into the gray eyes, all color around them seemed to drain as well.
Charlie's eyes, and my grandmother's eyes.
While Jeremy's eyes had a tinge of green, from his mother.
And I, that golden maple color, the color that was shared by none other than...
"As her sister requested the day of her death, Mrs. Agiree will be speaking on behalf of Maple Dean-Gray."
My aunt, and the reason that I was stopped by Jay that first day in the train.
Because, to him, I looked like Theodora Agiree.
"Let's get one thing straight." Theo's mom began. "My sister was a new mother, married to the woman of her life as she had just heard the news of the dark lord's death. No way in fuckin' hell would that cheery woman ever do anything to herself or her beloved, on my mum's grave!"
That too, I had learned how. How they died.
"Maple Dean-Gray, the hero, saved the unruly slave to the dark lord as she caught her attempting to kill their newborn. Veronica Dean-Gray was severely sick in the head from the spell casted pregnancy, and Maple had no other choice." Narcissa read out.
"Now, you know this as the report published in the daily prophet about the death of Veronica Dean-Gray, yes?" Donna's mother asked the minister. "And how, after that, it says that Maple Dean-Gray had been too late to save the child, killing herself minutes after?"
The minister nodded.
"Mrs. Dean, do you have any insight on how Maple wouldn't have realized that her child was in actuality, alive and breathing? You were the first to find them, after all.
My grandmother stood.
"I did, and when I did, the child was nowhere in sight. This was all the reports from a less than credible news source. Really, Elliece? You sent your partners innocent husband to his death, and you can't even get your story straight?" She said to Donna's mother
"Nowhere in sight?" Sara Webber said, ignoring the comment, even if you could tell by her angered state that it hurt her. "The child, you said?" She continued.
My grandmother nodded.
"These are the official statements, from the sister of Theodora Agiree and Maple Dean-Gray, the one who transported the child to the Muggle home." Narcissa opened another file.
"I had waited until (Y/n)'s grandmother had left, and I was holding my breath the whole time as she stared into the crying baby's eyes and smiled, before turning and leaving, the bodies of my sister and her lover on the floor. Then, I had taken my niece."
"Thank you for that lovely little horror tale, Narcissa, but you have the words of what? A school teacher with an obvious prejudice against our side of the family?"
"We have the files from the night they died, granny." I spoke up, crossing my arms.
"How, you can only get into that file with a full blooded Gray! Unless you did-"
"Mom, I didn't touch anything." Charlie promised.
"Why so nervous, Mrs. Gray?" Ms. Zabini said. "Unless you're hiding something?"
"How?!" She demanded.
"A whole Gray, Granny.." I said with fake pity. "My cousin, the one you so strongly think should wed me, we're both half Gray."
"You evil little rat!" A woman, I assumed my great aunt, snapped.
"She'd be jailed, if she's lying, but the contract remains true." A woman on the board said, her attitude making me immediately and obviously roll my eyes. "Ah, so that's to be settled another day, but you are correct." Mrs. Bay said. "Now, lets make sure this gets settled today, then, but frankly, these kids have a bed time so how about we talk over the 842 law introduced to the ministry, passed February 22nd of the same year that the Dean-Gray women died."
"The law passed 2 days after the death of the women, Mrs. Bay. Making all pre-existing contrasts and arrangements final. Like how Jason Webber is to be married to Theodora Agiree, no matter what, as their contract was signed pre-842." The same woman, decked out in pink, said as if everyone else was a toddler that needed to be explained to.
"Right, cause my sister's death was placed a whole day after that law was passed on the documents!" Theodora's mother yelled, and the minister had the papers fetched.
"Making the Gray family's contract, not only non legitimate, but adding lying to the law to their charges." Narcissa explained.
"Adding?" The minister questioned.
"They killed my fuckin' sister, and they're gonna pay!" The thick Scottish voice declared.
The minister read over the documents. "I see.. get the children to their homes for the new year, and we shall continue this."
"Sir, this isnt-" the nasty lady in pink tried to argue.
"I would like to hear this." He held his hand up.
---
"We're free!" Jeremy cried as he ran up and hugged Christina, lifting her off the ground as she screamed happily.
"Can we appreciate how cool our mums are?!" Blaise said.
"They're still out there owning the Gray establishment! And getting your father out of that mess, too!" Jay encouraged Jeremy to smile.
We were all in my room, the end of summer. Theodore just coming back from his carnival tour with his father, we told him everything.
I felt a squeeze around my shoulder.
I looked up, smiling, only to be paralyzed when the gray eyes stared back into mine.
But, it didn't last. No matter how freakishly pale Draco was, the color didn't drain from his eyes like it did my Grandmother's.
Hints of blue were hidden under layers of snowy crystals in his eyes, and they were just as easy to get lost in as you'd imagine.
"You won, (Y/n) he whispered to me.
"We did." I cupped his face gently. "This is for us, too."
"Should I get the gong?" Theodora asked as everyone watched.
"What gong..?" Theodore and Blaise questioned, and I swear Theodora, Jay, Christina and Jeremy all lit up like Christmas lights as we tried to stop them from telling the two boys.
And oh, how that became the moment in my mind where everything was at its best, even if I didn't have everyone I had before, now, it felt more manageable.
And a lot more like home.
(Ahhhh! Almost 60 chapters! Here's some art from the anonymous lady ;)

Hope u enjoy!!!!)