45. Parakeet

"He's an unprofessional, nut case!" I crossed my arms as we sat at supper.
"Oh, please! Mad-eye may be a missing a screw, but that demonstration sure did get the point across." Theodore said.
"I guess... where are you off to?" I asked as we walked down the hall.
"Um, I was gonna ask you something, actually." He said nervously.
I nodded.
"Would you help me talk to Christina? Last thing I heard, she doesn't have an understanding with Jeremy, and-"
"Theodore, Jeremy and her have been "secretly" in love for years.. don't do anything to hurt either of them, please."
"But they aren't talking anymore." He said.
I furrowed my eyebrows and thought.
I don't think they have this week...
"Look, I'm just saying that you should ask Jeremy what's going on before you do anything."
"Can you??" He gave puppy dog eyes.
I deadpanned. "You're gonna be demoted to Theo 3."
"There isn't even a third!" He cried.
"Exactly." I chuckled as I walked away.
"Where are you off to, meanie?!" He called.
"To watch a bunch of little Gryffindors get rejected by a big cup!"
He scoffed and turned, and I turned, hitting-
"Oh, sorry.." a soft voice said.
I looked up at the boy in a Durmstrag uniform, and tilted my head. "No, I'm sorry." I blinked a bit.
"Sorry for bumping me, or sorry that you're not wearing my necklace?"
I blinked even more, and then my eyes went wide.
"Daniel Lopez?" I said uncertainly, and he nodded.
"Oh, I meant to thank you for that Christmas gift-"
"It's fine, I was only teasing!" He laughed. "Are you going to put your name in?" He asked.
"Oh, I'm not old enough, plus-"
"It's the stupidest thing in the world?"
"Draco! Hi!" I greeted.
"Why don't you let her speak next time, rich boy?" My next words got caught in my throat.
"Sorry, who are you?" He replied to Daniel.
Daniel scoffed. "Daniel Lopez. Remember it. It's gonna be the name that you'll never forget."
Draco smirked. "How... common of a name. Easy to forget, isn't it?" He turned his head, and Daniel huffed.
"Sorry, (Y/n). I'll talk to you later.." he said towards me with a smile, before walking off.
Once he was gone, I turned to the blond with wide eyes.
"What did you do to him?!"
He looked offended. "Why do you think I did something?? He could've been the thing doer!" He pouted.
"Because it's always you! What happened??" I interrogated.
He turtle-faced at me.
I crossed my arms and he caved.
"He stole my parakeet when we were in preschool together..."
"How's that your-"
"So my father had his family financially ruined."
"You little-!"
"I was 5!" He put his hands up.
I let my breath out. "Why do your animal related offenses always have to be so dramatic..." I shook my head, and he rolled his eyes.
"Where are you going?" I asked.
"To go laugh at the Gryffindors who think that they can sneak in underage, why?"
I sighed. "See, this is why we work."
---
"Jeremy?" Theodore said nervously as he knocked on the open door to the unused classroom.
"Who the hell-?!" His eye twitched before he took a breath. "Sorry, you scared me..." his eyes were surrounded by bags. "Um, I'm not doing tutoring this year, sorry." He dismissed.
"Ah, actually..." Theodore began. "I wanted to ask you about Christina."
Jeremy stiffened, back to the boy. "You can ask her yourself, she's a to-the-point girl."
"I was actually gonna ask for permission- or, not permission but like your input? No..."
Jeremy was on high alert.
"I like Christina a lot, and I don't know if you two are still together, or-"
"We were never together." Jeremy's vision became blurry, and he gulped. "I'm not in charge of who she associates herself with. By all means..." his voice barely quivered. "You can try and win her heart."
And if you do, mine breaks to pieces.
---
It was finally Thursday night, and the contestants were about to be announced.
Our friend group was more squished than normal, being as we sit almost closest to the front of the room.
"20 on Mike Dilbert for Hogwarts.." Donna betted with the boys.
"50 on Viktor Krum! That kid's a mammoth!" Blaise added.
"100 for Potter." I said in a effortless tone.
The rest looked at me like I was crazy.
"Add 200 to that from me." Draco added.
"He's literally not even allowed to..." Chloe said.
"He'll manage a way. He always does." I shrugged, not even sure myself if I was joking.
"The Durmstrag champion is... Viktor Krum!" Dumbledore announced.
"All of you! 50!" Blaise slammed his hand on the table.
We all rolled our eyes.
"The Beauxbaton champion is... Theodora Agirre!"
"What?!" I yelled out, the same word coming from Jay's moth all the way across the room, and catching the attention of everyone.
Theodora chuckled.
"And our Hogwarts champion is Cedric Diggory!"
A puff?! I cheered loudly.
Cedric was a boy I'd talked to a few times too. He was one of Jeremy's friends.
"Looks like two certain people owe each of us 300." Theodore teased Draco and I.
"Hm.. I don't know if that's how bets work." Donna contradicted.
"Shushhhh." Theodore said.
The cup had turned red again and I smirked.
"Now, I don't want to be that person, but...."
"Harry Potter?!"
"We told you so."