61. Sarcasm and Rudeness

"(Y/n)?" He grabbed my wrist in the hallway, and I turned, eyes stained with tears.
"I'm fine-!" I tried to say before I realized how ridiculous I was being.
"Talk to me.." he encouraged, eyes searching for mine.
"I know she's horrible, and Chloe- Donna-" I started hyperventilating. "I miss them.." I got out before my vision blurred again.
I was instantly pulled closer.
Truth was, he didn't know how to comfort people, but he tried, and then, that's all I needed.
The reassuring touch that I'm not alone.
"How can I be the scary bitch that nobody messes with, if I can't look at my ex friends without crying?"
"You're human, and yeah you're easily the angriest person I know, you're also a big baby with a thousand soft spots.." he said as he held me close.
I laughed into his shoulder. "All better?" He asked.
I sniffled then wiped my eyes and nose on his shoulder. "I'm okay.."
"You're also disgusting!" He softly pushed me away in disgust as he looked down at his soaked shoulder and fake gagged.
I started a laughing fit, and he couldn't hold in his smile anymore as he made a big scene.
"You're a dork.." I scoffed, stepping closer to him.
He eyed me suspiciously. "If you get anything gross on me I will sue you."
"Get an attorney!" I called cutely before jumping at him, wrapping my arms around him in a bear hug.
His arms were stuck at his sides, so he just put his chin on my head contently.
Footsteps came up the stairs, and I frowned before letting go and waiting.
"Ah- excuse me young lady, these are the boys quarters!"
For whoever knows why, Miss pink princess was in our dormitory hallway, and I was being told off.
Draco sighed, stepping back.
"Yes, and I was just talking to my friend in the hallway." I said with a forced smile.
"According to you, maybe. The ministry would never tolerate this!" She called out.
"They won't tolerate me standing on the left side of the stairs?"
"Would you like to be the first child appointed detention the night of arrival?" She asked and my anger-smile that the crowd forming knew too well.
"No ma'am, I'm just confused how the ministry wouldn't tolerate me standing here, but tolerates you working for them?" I asked.
She opened her mouth, ready to go off.
"Apologies, Professor! I called her over to discuss-"
"Ah, Mr. Malfoy, this is her fault, not only for being here, but giving me so much attitude."
She turned to me.
"I will see you in detention tomorrow afternoon, Ms. Dean."
"It's Dean-Gray."
She gave a smile. "Sticking with that name? Does it make you feel powerful?" she asked and I clenched my fist, shutting my mouth and letting my eyes do the talking.
"Good night, students."
---
"Run while you still can." Christina grabbed my shoulders as she exited the DADA room.
"What? Why?"
"She asked my class if we knew anything about your 'incident' last night and hounded everyone in your house about why you were in the boys hall."
"What?! What kind of teacher interrogates other kids for dirt on a literal child that they're not happy with?!" Draco exclaimed.
"Especially because of one thing!" I finished.
"I'd expect that from a middle aged male PE teacher, maybe, but not some bitch in pink with a stick up her ass." I said.
"Nobody said that you two were together, at least. She wants an excuse to get you in more trouble." Christina reassured.
"That's Slytherin for you.." Jeremy, who was walking the halls, said.
"Jeremy? Why are-" I began.
"Oh, Christina! You look sick!" Jeremy exclaimed. "I'll take you to the.. infirmary." He said with a wink and she giggled.
I was genuinely repulsed as they walked off together.
"So we cant be close around her, simple enough?" Draco and I strategized.
"Right.. easy." I agreed as we entered class.
She had a seating chart, and that's when I decided that it was war.
She decided to go by last names, and used Gray this time.
Next to Granger.
But, almost unsurprisingly, we found one specific thing in common.
"Hermione is right, there's no way for this to really teach us how to defend ourselves."
"I will not be questioned!"
It was obvious she had a hatred towards me, but, like always, everything was about him, and Harry was also singled out.
Sure it was annoying, but I'm not ready to be the main character of my own life, let alone the whole school. Thank god, because once it was on him, I was surely free.
---
"The quill carves into your skin." He warned me before my detention, showing me his hand.
"That's gotta be fucking illegal!" I gasped, examining the cut.
"Potter, I sent you to fetch Miss Gray." Umbridge said, and I took a breath.
"Thank you for telling me.. and don't say a word to anyone about what I'm gonna do." I warned.
He sat back in his seat, and I across from him, a quill, and blank paper in front of me.
"Write 'I will not be rude and snarky' 3 times."
"With what, my imaginary ink?"
She let out a fake laugh. "You won't be needing ink. Now, write 'I will not be sarcastic and rude.' 100 times."
I started writing, clenching my fist as the pain started.
It was worse than I imagined, but I was also worse than she would imagine.
"Potter, why don't you make sure she stays on task.." she said before walking out, and I clenched my hand.
"You shouldn't! This has to be against the rules." He informed as I kept going. "Stop!"
"She doesn't want me being sarcastic and rude, so I'm doing what she says." I said with a sly smile.
---
I strutted down the hall, my gold bracelet clicking as everyone stared at my exposed arm.
'I will not be sarcastic and rude' Displayed ironically proudly and quite rudely. It was written over and over from my knuckles to my elbow, but i strutted down the hall like I owned it.
People stopped and gaped at me, and I kept my proud smile.
Until, a certain blond boy blocked me.
"She had you doing lines?!" He said angrily as he grabbed my fingers, pulling my arm up to inspect it.
He read what it said, still concerned but the anger slipping.
"Could you help being so petty?" He asked as he softly traced his thumb over the oldest mark, and I winced. "It hurts??" He cried out.
"Yeah, like a bitch." I said with a smirk as my voice was strained.
"Take off the bracelet!" He ordered, and I frowned.
"No, you gave it to me. I always wear it.."
Draco reached and took it off. "Hey!" I called.
"You're a badass for this but also a moron." He said as he grabbed my other hand and clipped the bracelet on.
"It's probably going to cause an infection, let alone the irritation.." he started ranting.
"Careful, Jeremy is going to be jobless." I teased.
He clenched his jaw, shaking his head. "For as angry of a person you are, how can you take nothing seriously?"
I was taken aback by his question. "I'm sorry?" I said with a half glare.
He took a breath and closed his eyes. "I don't like you getting hurt, especially when I can't help." He said genuinely.
"For real?"
"Of course, stupid, your jewelry is worth too much."
I rolled my eyes, and he groaned, knowing that he was gonna have to say something sweet to make up for the insult.
"You're worth too much.." he said, rocking back and forth on his feet.
I smiled, looking around for Umbridge. She wasn't there, so I gave him a quick peck to the cheek before moving past him quickly.
He stood there like a moron, cupping his own cheek as he blushed.
And I skipped off, arm throbbing, the biggest smile on my face.