11. Shes's Something Else

"Why are you in the library? Exams ended." Hermione informed as Christina sifted through the missing children reports.
"Just helping a friend." She responded with a smile. "May I ask why you're here then?" She asked, and the other girl tensed up.
"Just light reading." She responded.
They both went silent.
"If you don't mind me asking..." Hermione sat her books down across from Chris. "What's the problem between you and Donna Bay? Liz came home on Christmas Eve upset about what happened, and I was so confused.."
Chris took a breath.
"Donna's mother was the lawyer defending the people who killed my dad." She said in a short breath.
"I'm so sorry, I didn't-"
Christina looked up and plastered a smile on her face, using her sleeves to dry her teary eyes.
"Oh, it's fine! How could you know... heh."
"Right, I better get going..." she mumbled and pointed to the door. Christina gave her a weak smile before she left.
"That was very mature of you." Jeremy's voice rang from the bookshelf behind them.
"You're still here?" She asked as he put another book down on the desk for her.
"You're the one who needed to reach the fifth shelf." He joked.
"Yeah, yeah, and that's all you're here for! back to work!" She teased.
"Yes, all I'm here for... like ladders don't exist."
Got her.
"Be quiet!"
---
"Mionie, please! You'll get yourself expelled!" I warned.
"If the evil twin doesn't want to do this then she can go." Ron exasperated as the stairway switched.
"You're being rude, Ron." Harry scolded.
"When is he not?" I asked, crossing my arms. "And I'm not sending my sister into a trapdoor guarded by a three headed dog with two boys who probably can't tie their own shoes!" I scolded in a whisper. "No offense to you, Harry."
"None taken."
"Full offense to you, Weasley."
"Can we just focus?" He rolled his eyes.
"We enter on three?" Harry asked as we stood outside the third story door, opened as a huge dog slept inside.
"One..."
"Two..."
Footsteps.
"Th-"
"Who's there?!"
I pushed the three forward and closed the big door, making a bang.
"You are in big trouble, missy..."
---
"You're so stupid!" I stormed into the infirmary. "I told you this was a bad idea!" I yelled to my sister.
"We saved people, Liz." She defended from the bed.
"You got yourself hurt, and I got thrown under the bus to save you from getting caught! I lost 100 house points for you and you've been in here for three days without a word!" I spat out.
"You're concerned about house points? Seriously?" She said angrily.
"I'm concerned about you, moron!" I let out, turning to leave.
"You three should've been expelled by now.."
---
I couldn't help but smile as green decorated the great hall, my table as lively and proud as ever.
We won, despite my huge dent in our points.
But I should've known.
At the end of the day, it's always going to be Hermione. She'll always come on top. Grades, our parents, even her bravery. I was a coward compared to her.
I was nothing.
And when the banners turned red, I caught myself with tears in my eyes.
I'll never be good enough.
I'm just the wimpy, bitter evil twin.
And that's how my first year ended.
---
"I told you that you could come to me, Elizabeth." McGonagall's voice said as I exited the great hall, one of the last few.
I looked to her and she motioned next to her classroom.
"Now, I'm sure you're upset by the house cup results?" She asked. "You know, you're part of the reason that my house didn't get more points this year, with your goalkeeping skills."
I gave a weak smile. "Thanks."
"I see something special in you, Elizabeth. Even if you're not in my house, I'm on your side as long as that good in you still shines." She said softly, and my spirits lifted slightly.
"Now, go get a good night's sleep. I'll see you next year."
I then chose that to be my conclusion to this year.
It was much happier, and I welcomed it with open arms.
My sister was something, but I was something else.
Something else, that almost broke a window on the train ride home while trying to steal Jay's candy.