Hoseok

It takes everything in me to gather the courage to open the door in front of me. I'm terrified to meet the gaze of the person sobbing so brokenheartedly on the other side.
     It doesn't seem real. How could Jackson just be gone? My mind can't comprehend the fact he isn't coming back. He and Mark have just seemed always a permanent fixture in our lives.
    We wouldn't have survived without them. Jackson was such a good vampire. He didn't deserve such a death and Mark...I can't fathom the pain he's going through right now.
     Gathering my resolve, I hesitantly open the door and step inside. It's dark but I can barely make out the shaking figure lying on the bed.
     "Mark?"
     His sniffling gets louder and he lets out a loud wail of anguish as he sits up. I rush to his side and pull him into my arms, trying my best to comfort him. There isn't anything I can do to make it right or better but I can be here to hold him through it.  
     He clings to me, so completely broken his composure is nonexistent. "I n-never thought it p-possible I c-could lose him. Not like this." He sobs.
    "I know." I brush my fingers through his hair, resting my head on his. "I can't believe this happened."
     His cries quiet down after a while and I feel the energy leaving his body as he slumps down against me. His eyes wet but clear. "I planned my entire life around him."
     "Yeah. You two were meant to be."
     "I couldn't give him a child but he didn't care. He loved me as I am and accepted me." His lips tremble. "He's my soulmate. How do you keep going after losing your other half? What am I supposed to do with my life now?"
     "He would want you to keep doing what you do. You help so many hybrids and vampires and humans alike."
     "Jackson was always there to help me, though."
     "You don't have to replace him. He's still here. You just can't see him. I can't imagine him leaving your side even after d-dea—leaving." I choke on the last word. It's still hard to believe and utter it out loud.
     "You think so?"
     "Yes."
     "I really don't know what to believe anymore. How can he just be gone? Just like that. One minute we were kissing and being a perfect married mated couple and the next...I'm alone. I c-can't take it." His tears start back up. "It can't be real."
I hold him in my arms but my own tears flow freely down my cheeks. Who did this? What does this vamp have against Taehyung that he'd just senselessly murder an innocent like this? A good doctor at that! He never even got to help the birthing that was planned. Who knows if that person even survived that! It's all horrible.
It's all...just senseless.

"Hoseok?"
I open my eyes and roll over, seeing Namjoon hovering over me in the dark. I realize Mark and I fell asleep. I glance over at the passed out human before slowly sitting up, rubbing my eyes. I'm exhausted from crying and the emotional toll hasn't been good on me.
"Yeah."
"Come to bed. I need to hold you to sleep. I need to make sure you're safe at all times."
As much as I want the same thing, I hesitate. "I don't want to leave him alone."
He nods. "Jimin is coming to stay for awhile. He will keep Mark company."
Accepting that, I let my mate help me up and carry me back to our room. Settling on the bed, he takes time to kiss and pet on me. I  cuddle into his chest and breathe in his scent.
     Clinging.   
     He's strong. So strong but I can feel the pain and hurt he's concealing from me. Jackson was very important to him.
     "Want to talk about it?" I ask timidly. He doesn't like to show weakness, especially to me.
     He sighs, running his fingers through my hair. "I've known Jackson for such a long time. The fact he's gone is just...it doesn't want to compute. My mind refuses to fully accept it."
      "I understand that." 
      "We couldn't let Mark see him. We cremated him on the spot where we found him. It was...bad. I'll never forget it."
     Sympathy for my mate fills me. ""You did the right thing. I don't think Mark would ever recover if he saw him like that."
     He nods cautiously. "We tried to give him the utmost respect despite the hasty circumstances. I've failed him." His eyes tighten.
I grasp his face tightly. "You didn't fail him and I know Mark doesn't think that, either. What could you have done? You're powerful, sure, but not psychic. There was no way you could know this would happen."
His mouth presses into a hard line. "I should have sensed something off lately. I've been off my game and let my guard down."
I roll my eyes. "You've been stressed. I know most of that has been my fault." Admitting. "Your main focus has been on me and now that I'm pregnant and Jimin's disappearance...vampire or not you can only do so much."
He opens his mouth to argue but closes it back promptly. He knows I'm right. Sighing, he kisses my head. "And this is why I can never let you out of my sight again. You're going to stay glued to me until that baby is out."
"As long as you don't keep me prisoner in here anymore. It was lonely and boring."
"Are you pouting now?"
"I'm allowed to pout. It's my right as your mate." I declare proudly. "No matter who you are to everyone else, you must always lower self to me." Half joking half serious.
The pain begins to fade a bit from him as he smirks in amusement. "Oh, is that so, my little wolf? How, exactly, would you like me to lower myself for you?"
Of course he just has to make it sexual...or maybe my brain is the culprit...either way...now I'm horny. Hormonal and horny. A horrible combination considering the circumstances.
Ugh. Now is not the time....
His smirk grows more defined as he takes in the air around me. I know I'm giving off a strong scent. I can't hide it.
He grasps my chin and forces me to look into his eyes. He looks more himself now. I'm glad I could provide a distraction even if it is embarrassing to me.
"You're beautiful. Do you know that? So irresistible to me."
     I blush. "You have to say that."
     "I don't." He disagrees. "Its just how I feel. I love you. I'm very happy I chose you to be mine."
     Picking at his shirt, embarrassed, I can't meet his eyes. I'm shy. "I'm glad you're mine, too." I force myself to lift my gaze. His is gentle. "I love you, too."
     "Mhm. I will keep you safe. Always. I hope you know that."
     "I do. I trust in your power to protect me and ours." And that's true. I absolutely know he won't let anything happen to me or our baby.
     "As long as you know."
     We lay in comfortable silence as my body begins to cool down, just being together safe and sound. It's comforting.
     "Namjoon?"
    "Hm?"
    "Why is Jimin coming to stay, anyway? Doesn't he finally want to be back home with his mates?"
     He hesitates. "Ah...Jimin has decided he wants space from their relationship." He pauses, licking his lips in thought. "I think he might leave them."
     My eyes widen in shock. "H-how?! I thought they were crazy in love and perfect for each other."
     He shrugs. "It's really not our business. I just simply agreed when Jimin asked if he could stay here for awhile. It's good timing for Mark, anyway."
      I frown. They can't be over. Their relationship has always seemed the strongest foundation of us all. How can they just end like that for no reason?
     I really need to talk to Jimin.
     He won't really leave them, will he?