Chapter 8: Phantoms

Warning: contains impalement and blood

Bad hummed a song as he walk along side his friends, the spider that clung to his back was asleep by now but it still held on pretty tightly, Endie was watching the skies closely as if they could sense a watchful presence up above, Skeppy and A6d leading the way as small chunks of concrete where kicked away. Dream thought to himself with his hands tucked away in his hoodie pocket as that voice in his head was oddly silent, Dream thought this was odd since the voice would always pester him and hiss vial things at him, but that voice was gone for some reason. Dream shook his head forgetting about it, he rather have this peace and quiet with having a voice pester him every hour or second.

"Is everything alright?" George whispered to Dream since he noticed Dream's actions.

"Yeah, I'm alright, no need to worry." Dream reassured George before glancing at the next building.

Dream carefully watched Skeppy and A6d climb up the building with ease due to their mutations and enhancements, but the rest followed shortly after, climbing up to the next roof. Once on the roof the hisses came from above and a shifting came from below.

"Phantoms!" Skeppy called out looking up to the night sky, oblivious to the moving roof.

The flock of phantoms circled over head as their wings stretched out making them glide in the cold breeze. They would hiss at the group before swooping in for an attack. A6d slashed one of the Phantoms with his trusty dagger managing to cut its face but it flew off before his could stab his dagger into the pesky creature. George and Sapnap both tried shooting down the phantoms with their bows and arrows but the phantoms would roll out of the way and continue to fly around. Dream felt his leg go down slightly and he looked at the group.

"Guys, the roof's going to-" before Dream could finish his sentence he was cut of as the roof caved in taking him down with it. Most if not all the group was away from the zone of the cave in but their movements caused it as Skeppy kept leaping up to slash the phantoms with his giant crystal claws and landing back on all fours as if he where some cat, George and Sapnap running around to get a better angle of the creatures, and A6d ludging at the phantoms with his dagger.

The group stopped everything as they turned back to see Dream get taken by the collapsing roof. George tried grabbing Dream's hand but it slip away from his grasp as more of the roof crumbled before him. Dust wafted up from the pit as if everything landed down on solid ground. George was trembling the most as he just watched his friends life be taken from him, but everyone was shaken up from the quick event that just unfolded. The phantoms targeted George trying to knock him into the pit and when they close to George they were impaled by crystal shards. Skeppy walked over careful to pull George away from the pit as the phantom corpses slid into as more bit of the roof fell in.

"We have to go." Skeppy spoke in a serious tone of voice as his claws where around George's shoulder.

"N-no, we can't. We can't go, what if Dream is still alive down there, we can't just abandon him, he's my friend!" George said with all the determination and hope that he still held onto.

Sapnap and Bad watched this unfold before them, Sapnap wanted to say something about stay or to go back to ground level to see if Dream was alive but his mouth wouldn't open for him to speak. Bad came over to George gently escorting him away from the pit and moving past A6d who's head was at a tilt. Skeppy huffed taking a glance down the pit but their was to much dust to see anything, his foot slid as the roof cracked beneath him and he got out of the way as that chunk of the roof fell in shooting up more dust. Was Dream still alive after all that, this building is stories tall and a fall like that would kill a person.