sequel: chapter thirty-one

"Brynnley, can I ask you a favor?" Jackie asks pulling me to the side

"Brynnley, can I ask you a favor?" Jackie asks pulling me to the side. I nodded without any hesitation.

Jax was currently upstairs in his old room, watching tv with the kids while Jackie and I were making dinner.

Today, Jax was going to meet Carlos, who is Jackie's boyfriend. They met back when I was a sophomore year in college but they didn't start dating until a couple of months ago.

He does business internationally so he only comes home every two weeks before going back out to work.

"Can you please keep Jax calm? He's always been very overprotective. Carlos won't be intimidated but he'll make jokes which might piss him off." She tells me.

"Yeah, I can try. Why don't you just threaten to kick his butt or something? You're his mom." I asked jokingly.

"Well, I don't want to look crazy in front of Carlos!" She exclaims making laughter erupt from me.

I rolled my eyes in a jokingly manner, "Fine, I'll be the crazy one tonight."

"Thank you, baby." She kisses my temple.

Jackie and I split apart as she goes to open the door for Carlos while I went upstairs to get Jax and the kids.

Sol beams at the sight of me entering the room. "Is Carlos here yet mommy?"

I nodded, "You three can go downstairs. I need to have a serious talk with your dad."

I give Jax a pointed look. All the kids' eyes widen at the tone of my voice.

"Uh-oh papa, you're in trouble," Bodhi says patting Jax's shoulder who looks very confused.

He's probably getting some flashbacks, trying to figure out what he did wrong.

"Good luck daddy, love you." Journey kisses his cheek before running out behind Bodhi.

Sol walks over to me, pulling me down, "Don't be too mean to him, he's sensitive." She whispers making me laugh.

"No promises."

She giggles before running off. I closed the door behind me walking over to Jax. I sat down next to him but he quickly pushes me down, intertwining our fingers, then pinning them above my head.

Oh, how I love this position.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I don't know what I did but don't hit me." He says scrunching up his face.

"Is that why we're in this position?" I looked up at him as he nods. "You act like I hit you every five minutes for fun."

"You do!" He argues letting my hands go and then burying his head in the crook of my neck.

"I hit you when you don't listen! Plus it doesn't even hurt." I hit his shoulder and he pretends like I just shot him in the arm.

I looked at him in disbelief. "You overdramatic big-headed orangutan," I mumbled making him gasp.