7: The Tragic News

ERODAS POV
"Uh...Eroda. Can I speak to you?" it was the next morning and I was teaching my Year Sevens when Arthur (the Head Of Year Eleven) walked in. Michelle was behind him, biting her nails.
"Uh sure" I got up from my seat and left the room, closing the door behind me.
"You sent Elisa home early, right?" He asked.
"Yeah uh...she wasn't doing so well"
"She didn't come home last night. Her mum called in worried sick and reception told her she'd left school early due to illness"
"What!? H-have the police been informed?"
"They found her body this morning, in Deptford Creek"

Body.

My jaw dropped. "W-what?"
"The students need to gather in the main hall for an assembly but...I'd like you to go home. Given yesterdays situation, I think it's best you have some time off"
"R-right okay" i stammered.
"Here, take her class. Mine's already gone. C'mon love" Michelle took me to her classroom whilst Arthur went to speak to mine.

"Chelle, she's dead" panic filled my voice.
"I'm so sorry Eroda"
"S-she's dead. O-one of my students is dead"
"Eroda, eroda calm down"
"She's dead because of me!" I started tearing up.
"No! No Eroda it isn't your fault"
"S-she had a crush on me. I-i let her go home early..." tears streamed down my cheeks.
"C'mon, let's get you home" she took my hand and led me to my classroom which was empty.

I quickly tidied my things away while Michelle set some cover work for the day. She led me to the main office where i signed out and walked me to my car.
"Text me when you get it, okay?" We shared a hug before i got into my car and sped away.

I couldn't believe what had just happened. Elisa killed herself because of me. She'd died because I didn't like her back. My mind was an earthquake - a true mess. How the heck was I meant to go about my life knowing that one of my students had passed away? I tried not to cry again as I was driving which caused a lump to form in my throat

I pulled up into my road and got out of my car quickly before going inside and slamming the door shut. I dropped everything and started sobbing heavily.

HARRYS POV
"Gem I'm bored! C'mon!" I whined down the phone.
"Harry, I'm busy! If you're so bored why don't you go see Eroda and apologise"
"Uhhhh..." I wasn't planning to say sorry.
"You arrogant son of a bitch! Go say sorry!"
"You just called our mum a bitch"
"Oh my god, just apologise!" The line went dead. Well, I guess I'm going to see Eroda.

I got out of my car and knocked on her front door. I knew she was home as her car was parked outside. But she wasn't answering. Perhaps she went for a walk? But I swear she was working today. Why was she home?

Ah. She has a doorbell. I rang it and minuets later the door opened...and what a sight. Eroda was still wearing her work clothes and her eye make up was smudged round her eyes. She'd clearly been crying.

"W-what d'you want Harry?" She sniffled.
"Oh shit, are you okay?" I asked.
"I-I'm fine" She clearly wasn't.
"Are you sure? I-if you need some company or anything we could go for a walk"
"I-it's fine. W-why are you here?"
Fuck. I hated saying sorry. Why did I even come here if I didn't plan on saying sorry?
"I'm... sorry about what I said the other week"

"Oh. Uh...it's fine. Thank you" she said quietly.
"Yeah uh...you sure you're alright though?"

But right there on the spot she started crying.

ERODAS POV
"Hey it's okay" Harry pulled me into a tight hug and let me sob into his winter coat. "It's okay. C'mon, d'you want me to make you some tea?"
I nodded, tears streaming down my cheeks.

I let Harry in and led him to my kitchen. He found everything he needed and made two cups of tea before we sat in my warm living room.
"Your house is really nice" he said.
"Thanks" I sniffled, before sipping my tea.
I'd completely forgotten how rude Harry had been before - he was being so sweet and caring.
"Now, what's up? You came home early. And...well you're sad"

"Uhhh..." I was always so private about my issues but I wanted to talk about it so badly. "One of my students...died last night"
"Oh shit...I'm so sorry. Damn"
"S-she drowned herself...because of me"
"No, no what could have you done!? It wasn't your fault!"
"She had a crush on me Harry"

Silence.
"Wow" he was lost for words.
"She had a crush on me and...found out I knew. And one of my colleagues spoke to her then...she came to me and we talked. Then i sent her home early but...she..." i started crying again. I put my tea down and hid my face with my hands. Harry immediately put his mug down and gave me a cuddle. I buried my head in his warm chest and sobbed my heart out.

"It wasn't your fault love. Okay, you just do your job - very well I can imagine. What did you say to this student?"
"I-i just told her that she was a really good student a-and she had a lot of potential. And that it would never happen"
"You did the right thing. What else were you going to say? And you were so kind to her! Kinder than I ever have been"

I cannot believe he just said that.

"The point is, you're not to blame. It's tricky when someone has a crush on you especially in this situation. But you did what you could. And...I'm proud of you"
"Really?" I looked up into his green eyes.
"Of course. That must have been a really hard thing to do"
"You know I've always disliked you...but you're actually pretty sweet Harry"
His cheeks turned red slightly. "Uh thank you. Y-you like the tea I made?"

"Best tea I've ever drank in my entire life"