21: Gem

ERODAS POV
I'd gone in early to give in my notice before lying about an appointment and going home. It was the last week of school anyway, term was over tomorrow. Mrs Trilling was devastated that i was leaving but wished me the best.

I sat in my living room having a big old cry...one because i was on my period and two because i missed Harry so much. I was thinking about the situation so much and it just hurt. I knew he didn't like me back but sometimes I thought he did. He loved spending time with me and always made so much effort. I'd overhear people talking about us. God, was I pathetic.

Gemma had come over to see how i was doing as she found out what had happened from her brother.
"I'm sorry things didn't turn out the way you wanted them to. And I'm sorry my brothers so oblivious. You're drop dead gorgeous and a joy to be around - he's stupid not to be crazy about you" she comforted me.
"I really like him Gemma. I-i wish he didn't find out" i sniffled.
"I know, it must hurt a lot. We all knew you liked him and well...we were convinced he liked you back"
"It's just a crappy situation I guess"

"I don't believe a word he says" she blurted out.
I turned to the freckled face woman in shock.
"I've known Harry since he was born. I know when he likes someone. He's so into you - I think the pressure from his job is blinding him"
"Gemma-"
"Eroda, he likes you! He's going to figure it out sooner or later and feel devastated that he let you go. He just...I don't know. It's a sticky situation"
"I know you and Anne like me and all but just because you approve of me doesn't mean it's going to happen"

"Im sorry" she sighed before we shared a hug. "But I truly believe he will come around. I've never seen Harry so happy with someone. You got rid of the old malicious Harry and replaced him with my little brother...the one I love and missed. Even Mum noticed...she couldn't stop talking about how cute you two were; how much Harry was smiling and the way he was acting..."
"Gemma" she looked at me. "It's not going to happen. I-im sorry. But promise me we'll stay friends"
"Of course. Always" she responded. "Are you coming to the show on Friday?"

"I'm not sure" i sighed.
"Oh please come! Michelle and I will be there! You can leave before it ends so you don't need to face Harry...just support him. I-i know you said you can't be his friend but maybe it can be the last thing you do as his friend, y'know?"
"I'll think about it. I promise"
"You're a star" she smiled. "How's work?"
"Gave in my notice today. I'm going to look around for new teaching jobs...worse comes to worse I have to wait nine months to start teaching again"
"You have an English and Writing degree, right?" I nodded at that statement.
"I know some journalist positions if you're interested. Or you could do private tutoring"

"You're an angel Gemma"
"Call me Gem"