The Complication

A/N: Set immediately after Code of Honour. Thanks for reading. Despite Code of Honour being one of the most cringeworthy episodes of TNG, there were some brilliant Data/Tasha moments in that episode. Yes, I will go down defending this ship. This story explores those moments and some missing scenes. This is an amateur fan-made work of imagination. 

This is a retelling of TNG Season One. My attempt is to weave in missing scenes and a few original adventures to expand on the first season. It's a little AU and a bit of a rollercoaster.

Part One of "The Complication" series, this is the fic that launched the series. Be sure to check out the other fics set in the same universe!

Like my works? Stay up-to-date with my stories, comics, and art at charliefenwick.com or follow the Tartan Tart on Facebook & Twitter @TheTartanTart. 

-----------

It had been three days, eight hours, forty-two minutes, and seven seconds since Tasha had returned from Ligon II.

Presently, the Enterprise was en route to Styris IV to deliver the vaccine. Data had only read about Anchilles fever. While he had never witnessed it first-hand, he'd read enough to know that its particularly contagious nature coupled with the high mortality rate meant that Anchilles fever could sweep through a world in a matter of weeks.

Captain Picard bid his officers a good evening as their shift ended. Data would be on night watch on the Bridge later. He had several hours before his shift. Ordinarily, Data would hang around to run through his daily report with Lieutenant Baker that would take over his position at Operations for the swing shift.

"My report is available on the console. Have a good shift, Lieutenant," Data said with a short nod before turning to the turbolift.

He hoped he could catch Lieutenant Yar in the turbolift to initiate a conversation.

In a few long strides he was almost to the door before he was stopped by Commander Riker.

"You're off somewhere in a hurry, Mr Data," Riker said with a smile. "What's the rush?"

Data did not turn around. Tasha met his eyes briefly before casting her gaze down to the floor. The turbolift doors closed and Data knew he'd lost his chance.

"I have night watch on the Bridge later, sir," Data said. "And several tasks to accomplish before then."

Riker laughed and Data caught the next turbolift off the Bridge.

He'd calculated three hundred and twenty-six instances in which he could make contact with Lieutenant Yar naturally to initiate a conversation.

One hundred and forty-three minutes after Tasha had returned from Ligon II, Data had attempted to initiate conversation after their briefing following her return. At that time, she had told him she wanted to return to her quarters and to be left alone after the incident. As he analysed her, he could see she was fatigued from the ordeal. Data also suspected that there was an emotional toll that she did not wish to discuss publicly.

So, Data had waited several hours and then shown up at her door.

"Yes, sir?" Tasha said as she stood stiffly in the doorframe.

"I came to see if you were alright," Data explained. "I have read that human emotions of past traumatic events can be triggered when-"

"I'm fine," Tasha said as she cut him off. "I'd just like to be alone."

Data had left that evening confused about their interaction. His behaviour had seemed to cause Tasha annoyance. Although he could not feel emotion, Data found that the idea that his actions had caused Tasha frustration had preoccupied his neural pathways.