jack-ass double cross

Officer Bradley walked into the Pub, shivering slightly.

"Cold out there. Weather's changing. Sorry it took me so long. The night clerk had to get hold of the manager and the day clerk."

He looked at Lindsay.

"Your instincts were right. This guy Jeff Lawson fits the description of Jackson Lamont."

"Can wese get him arrested?"

"We don't really have anything on him and besides, we have another problem."

"What is that?"

"Seems this guy has already checked out. He used the automated checkout service in the room. The night clerk never even saw him leave. I checked some of the other hotels and motels, in the city, but no one fitting his description checked in."

"So he could be anywhere?"

Officer Bradley nodded.

"I will check in Deer Lake and even Port-aux=Basque, but I don't think we will have any more luck."

"So the fucker could bes anywhere."

~~~~~

Jackson Lamont glanced at his cellphone, mounted on the dash, as it connected to the bluetooth in his rental jeep. He saw Angie's name. 

"What does she want?"

He considered not answering, but he knew she would only call back.

"What?" he quipped, boringly.

"Its me."

Jackson calmed a little.

"No kidding. What do you want?."

"Well, ahhh."

"Fuck. What?"

"Noel got caught."

"What do you mean, he got caught? He texted me and said it was done."

"Well, apparently it wasn't and apparently, they had security on the site. And apparently they caught him before he did the deed."