lies and blackmail

Matty took a few moments to regain her composure.

"Bill please, it was not like that at all."

"Matty, you thought I was some middle ages retiree, looking for a place to spend his golden years. Who better to convince him than a pretty redhead."

Matty once again blushed slightly.

"Please stop saying that."

"Why?"

Matty took several quick breaths. 

"Look, I just felt that if I got you here and I could talk to you, that you might see the Bay the way I see it. The way all of us here see the Bay. And then you just might agree to the other stipulations and accept the responsibilities involved with the purchase."

Bill's eyes opened wide.

"Responsibilities? Now I am responsible for things?"

Bill laughed slightly.

"This just keeps getting better."

Matty sat in the rocking chair.

"There are 150 permanent residents here in Tuckamore Bay."

"Mr. Wells said there were 250 residents."

"I think he was embellishing that so you would think the village had some urban appeal."

Bill stood up again, snuffing out his cigarette as he did so.

"So is their anything truthful in this whole thing, Matty?"

Matty leaned forward, in the rocking chair.

"If this sale goes through, every resident of the town will get a cheque for $10,000 because of this sale. It is money that they desperately needed to keep the village alive. We are all doing our part to see the Bay.

They so love this village that they decided to sell the village, rather than pack up and desert it."

"Like you did," Bill snapped, without thinking.

The look on Matty's face changed quickly. She was speechless.

Bill felt like shit.

"I am so sorry. That was out of line. Matty, please forgive me."

She shook her head.

"No. You are right. I did abandon the village. I was away at university when my Grandmother died. I wasn't even here for her funeral. I didn't even know she died until she had been buried for a month."

Matty stood up.

"I am doing this because I believe in Tuckamore Bay and I will do anything to save this Bay."

She walked to Bill and stared into his eyes.

"And if that means I have to lie and, as you say, blackmail, then I guess that is what I will do."