a debt paid

Bill had just finished a beer when a knock came to his front door.

"Who could that be?"

He opened the door.

"Matty?"

"You ready for the meeting?"

Bill nodded.

"Yea, just let me get my briefcase."

He headed for the coffee table.

"Since when do you knock."

"Since I no longer live here," Matty answered, still standing outside.

Bill joined here outside.

"You know you are always welcome."

Matty started walking away.

"Come on. They are waiting for us."

Bill hurried to catch up with Matty and they walked in silence until they reached the Village Center.

"Wait a second."

Matty stopped and turned.

"What?"

"Is this the way it is going to be?"

"What?"

"Look. The only way this is going to work is if we talk. Can't we at least try to be civil with each other?"

"Sure," Matty turned away, hiding the smirk on her face.

"Come on. We are meeting in the Mayor's office."

Moments later Bill and Matty were sitting in the small office of Mayor Tucker. John and Joyce Dove were there as well.

"Nice to sees youse 'ere again, Bill."

"Thank you Mayor."

Joyce Dove grunted.

"Mainlander."

She looked at Mayor Tucker.

"Ise don't knows why wes bes wastin' our time 'ere. Dat mainlander dere made it clear da last time 'e were 'ere dat 'e not be 'elpin' us."

Bill opened his briefcase and took out the documents 201, 2, and 3 and closed his briefcase.

"These are the documents that Matty gave me after I agreed to buy the lighthouse. I had them made null and void by a lawyer, but there are a lot of good ideas in there and if Matty agrees, I will work with her and with the rest of the Bay to try and implement some of these ideas."

Mayor Tucker put up his hand.

"Wes appreciates all dat youse is sayin' dere, Bill. But da truth is ..."