a shadow of doubt

"Fuck," Matty swore, as she opened her emails.

Bill held out a beer for her.

"What's wrong. Ex-boyfriend coming to town."

Matty spun around in the chair and stared at Bill.

"You're an asshole, you know."

She took the beer from him and spun back to the computer.

"I just got an email from the Department of Fisheries. I finally got my meeting."

"Well isn't that good news?"

"Yes, but it is at 10:00am, tomorrow morning. I haven't been able to stay online the last few days, long enough, to check my emails."

She looked at the clock on the wall.

"Its four in the afternoon now. I would have to drive all night just to get there. And then I will be in a wreck for the meeting. Fuck.

And if I blow this I surely will not get another."

"Go get packed. I will call the airport and see if there is a flight tonight and if there is, I will book it for us and a hotel as well."

Matty stood up and hugged Bill.

"There's no need for you to go, hun. By the time I get to St. John's and settled in the hotel, it will be late and I still have to get my papers in order for the meeting."

"Oh, okay," Bill sighed, a sad tinge to his voice.

Matty kissed Bill.

"Honey, you have that meeting with Henry in the morning and you still have to get in touch with Frank Pittman. And you have a meeting scheduled with Clayton at the fish plant."

She kissed him again.

"I can drive to Deer Lake, fly out, have my meeting in the morning and fly back tomorrow afternoon, after the meeting. I will be home again tomorrow night."

"You're right," Bill smiled.

He kissed Matty quickly.

"Go. Let me make the calls."

"Thank you," she smiled as she hurried out of the house.

Nanny Dove grunted.

"What's with you?" Bill wondered, as he looked up the number for Westjet Airlines.

"Nuttin. Jest seems strange dat Matty didn't wants youse to go."

Bill shrugged as he wrote the number on a notepad, near the computer.

"Doesn't seem strange to me. What she said made perfect sense."

"Okay."

Bill ignored Nanny Dove and called the number. He got Matty booked on a flight for 7 o'clock, which would give her plenty of time to drive to Deer Lake and he booked her at a nice hotel, near the government office for the Fisheries Department.