the talk revisited

Bill don't know how long he was in the bathroom. The tears had stopped, finally and he was feeling somewhat normal again.

At one point he had  even considered sleeping in the bathtub, but realized that was stupid, considering he had a perfectly comfortable bed.

He wiped his face one last time and opened the bathroom door.

"I was wondering when you were going to emerge from the dungeon."

"Matty?"

Matty was sitting on the couch, petting Jarge.

"I thought you'd left."

She shook her head.

"No. I never got a chance to say what I had to say. Someone took over the conversation and then did the man thing.

Run into the bathroom and lock the door."

She kissed Jarge on top of the head.

"Go to your bed, hun."

Jarge jumped off the couch and waddled past Bill, giving him, what he was convinced, was a snarl. He settled in his bed, by the fireplace and looked at Matty.

"Come and sit down, Bill."

"Matty. I'm tired and ..."

Matty held up a drink.

"Come and sit with me and let me say what I wanted to say. Then you can go to bed."

Bill sat down and Matty passed him the drink.

"And this time, let me fucking finish what I want to say.

Okay?"

Bill nodded as he sipped on his drink.

"And no manly tears," she smiled.

"I'll try."

"Like I was saying before you got all manly on me ..."

"Not gonna let that go, are you?"

Matty smiled.

"Never."

She moved closer to Bill and took his free hand in her's.

"There is a whole world out there and I did feel like I got a chance to let my wings open and fly free and believe me, it was exciting. Meeting all these new and interesting people and being able to communicate and negotiate with them on their level, finally mede me feel alive.

The lunches and dinners were interesting and I got an insight into business that I never knew before. Bill, I felt alive and I felt like I mattered and I was important.

Men get to feel that way all the time. Women don't. 

I was stepping into a man's world and I was thriving."